A man was rescued from a second story bedroom during an overnight fire in Wales. Courtesy of Wales Fire Department Facebook. 

A Wales man was rescued during an early Tuesday morning fire at his Pond Road residence, the Wales Volunteer Fire Department said.

The man was trapped in a bedroom during a two-alarm dryer fire just after midnight. First responders from Wales and Monmouth got in through the bedroom window and rescued the man by bringing him down a ladder.

The Wales man was rescued and brought down a ladder to safety. Courtesy of Wales Fire Department Facebook. 

The unidentified man was conscious, alert and talking after being pulled out of the bedroom. The house was a total loss, firefighters said.

Wales Fire Chief Anthony Siderio said four people were in the home at the time of the fire and three people were uninjured. The man who had been trapped in the bedroom was taken to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston for treatment of smoke inhalation and injuries described by Siderio as not life threatening.

There were no animals in the residence and crews were on scene for nearly four hours, Siderio said.

“We call it a grab,” Siderio said, referring to the rescue of the man from the bedroom. “We’d call it successful because we were able to get someone out of the building and they’re still viable.”

Fire departments from Sabattus, Monmouth, Greene, Leeds, Turner, Lisbon, Bowdoin and Winthrop provided mutual aid, as did the Androscoggin County Sheriff’s Office and United Ambulance.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: