A South Portland man drowned Sunday after falling into the Saco River at Pleasant Point Park in Buxton.

Buxton police say a woman witnessed Abiodun Jerry Roland Olubi, 38, fall into the river off a slippery rock outcrop at around 2:15 p.m. The woman told officials that she believed he did not know how to swim, and he did not resurface after going under water.

Members of the Saco, Hollis, Standish and Gorham fire departments responded to the river with water rescue boats to search for Olubi while the York County Emergency Management Agency used a drone to look for him from above.

A dive team from the Maine Warden Service later found Olubi’s body at a depth of 50 feet.

“We would like to remind visitors to Pleasant Point Park that the Saco River is very deep in this area. We want everyone to have fun and enjoy the park and river but do it safely,” Buxton police said in a news release. “This is a very tragic fatal accident and we wish the family of Mr. Olubi our sincere thoughts and prayers.”

On Sunday afternoon, a couple who had been fishing on the river told News Center Maine that they had seen a number of first responders in the river in the area of Salmon Falls near a large rock known locally as “party rock.” Buxton police Chief Troy Cline said Olubi fell from an outcropping within sight of the rock.


The 65-acre town park provides local access for swimming, kayaking and fishing on the Saco River, along with picnicking and hiking. It’s a popular area for youths to plunge into the river from rope swings. The “party rock” is down river from the rope swings.

In August 2019, Steel Crawford, a 17-year-old Freeport High School student, drowned at Pleasant Point Park after he jumped off a popular rope swing into the Saco River. Officials said at the time that Crawford hit the water awkwardly and never resurfaced.

Last summer, Pleasant Point Park was shut down by the town after several weeks of increased disregard for public property and park rules, including the use of alcohol and dangerous parking practices on roads around the park. Buxton police eventually ended up charging 40 people with trespassing in the riverfront park, which had been closed because of the large gatherings, illegal drinking and dangerous behavior.

Staff Writer Dennis Hoey contributed to this report.

Comments are not available on this story.