FALMOUTH — Colby Bilodeau stuffed in a centering pass from Evan Beaudette with 3:01 remaining to give fifth-seeded Thornton Academy a 2-1 win over No. 4 Falmouth in a Class A boys’ hockey quarterfinal Friday at Family Ice Center.

Falmouth’s Caden Barnard broke a scoreless deadlock with a power-play goal at 12:20 of the second period, but Kyle LeSieur tied it just 53 seconds later, converting the rebound of a shot by Alex St. John after LeSieur won a faceoff in the offensive zone.

Thornton (14-5) next faces either No. 1 Edward Little or No. 8 Lewiston in the semifinals Tuesday at Cross Insurance Arena.

Falmouth, which earned a pair of 2-1 victories over Thornton in the regular season, finished at 10-8-1.

SOUTH PORTLAND 2, LAKE REGION 1: Richard Gilboy’s power-play goal 50 seconds into the third period lifted third-seeded South Portland/Freeport/Waynflete (13-6-1) to a Class A quarterfinal victory over No. 6 Lake Region/Fryeburg/Oxford Hills (12-7) at Troubh Ice Arena.

South Portland’s Joey Soucy struck first just 1:55 into the game, and Travis Roy Award semifinalist Cullen Adams added a short-handed goal at 6:12.


The IceCats, though, cut into the deficit when Owen Galligan scored at 10:30. Jacob Lemery tied it midway through the second.

South Portland moves on to play No. 7 Scarborough in the semifinals on Tuesday at Cross Insurance Arena.

SCARBOROUGH 4, BANGOR 2: Sam Rumelhart set up the game’s first goal, then recorded a hat trick to lead the seventh-seeded Red Storm (11-8-1) past the second-seeded Rams (14-4) in a Class A quarterfinal in Bangor.

Rumelhart snapped a 2-2 tie when he flipped in a backhander with seven seconds remaining in the second period. He finished his hat trick when he converted a short-handed breakaway with 2:38 left.

Scarborough took the lead 39 seconds into the second when Wyatt Grondin jammed the puck past Bangor goalie Jake Hirsch after a rink-length rush by Rumelhart.

Rumelhart made it 2-0 at 4:53, but Bangor answered with two goals in a 40-second span, by Dan McCarthy and Cooper Ireland.


BRUNSWICK 4, CHEVERUS 3: Zach Stern-Hayes scored his second goal of the game early in the fifth overtime to give the second-seeded Dragons a Class B South semifinal victory over third-seeded Cheverus/Yarmouth at Bowdoin College’s Watson Arena.

Stern-Hayes also set up a goal by Nick Marro in the second period, then got one of his own late in the second to put Brunswick ahead, 2-1. Cheverus tied it just 28 seconds later on a goal by Ben Moll.

Cheverus grabbed its second lead of the night when Andrew Cheever scored 27 seconds into the third. Oliver Bateman converted a 2-on-1 feed from Brady Laforge to make it 3-3 with 13:00 remaining.

Brian Connolly of Cheverus opened the scoring early in the second period, redirecting a shot by Moll.


NEW ENGLAND CHAMPIONSHIPS: Fourteen Maine wrestlers, including two each from Mt. Ararat/Brunswick and Mattanawcook Academy, advanced to the quarterfinals on Day 1 of the New England championships in Providence, Rhode Island.

Brycen Kowalsky (126 pounds) and Spencer LeClair (152) of Mt. Ararat/Brunswick are still in the championship bracket, as are Mattanawcook’s Cole Albert (120) and Jackson Sutherland (170).

Other Mainers still in contention for a New England title are: James Blood of Sanford and Wynn Pooler of Erskine at 106; Dyllan Davis of Biddeford, 126; Caden Frost of Bonny Eagle, 132; Derek Cote of Noble, 138; Aiden Clark of Skowhegan, 145; Nathan Schobel of Dexter and Dillon Worster of Oxford Hills, 195; Jonny Lettre of Cony, 220; and William Orso of York, 285.

This roundup will be updated.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.