SCARBOROUGH — Time after time, Windham couldn’t convert on its penalty corners in the second half of a Class A South field hockey quarterfinal Thursday against Scarborough.

Then, on the Eagles’ final chance, they produced their biggest goal in years.

Senior Ella Wilcox tipped home a pass from Zoe Dries with 2:05 remaining, sending sixth-seeded Windham to a 3-2 victory over third-seeded Scarborough at Kippy Mitchell Sports Complex.

Windham (10-5) will host a semifinal at 2:30 p.m. Saturday against No. 7 Gorham, which upset second-seeded Biddeford on Wednesday.

Scarborough finished with a 12-3 record.

“It feels really good to beat Scarborough,” said Eagles Coach Cory Didonato. “The girls wanted this so badly.”


The game was originally scheduled for Tuesday, but Windham’s bus was involved in a fatal accident with a motorcycle on the way to Scarborough and the contest was pushed back 48 hours.

“We took yesterday to just come together as a team and didn’t really focus on field hockey, but more on getting in a good head space,” said Didonato. “As horrible as this week has been, we were there for each other.”

The Red Storm, who had a two-week break between games, grabbed a 1-0 lead with 8:32 left in the first quarter when Ayden Harris collected the rebound of a Daisy Stone shot off a penalty corner and sent it past goalie Emma Theriault (eight saves).

Windham drew even midway through the third quarter, as Hannah Heanssler set up Zoe Dries. Just a over a minute later, however, Harris scored for the second time, assisted by Stella Grondin, and Scarborough took a 2-1 lead to the fourth quarter.

Heanssler tied it again when she pounced on a failed clear and fired it past Scarborough goalie Jamila Mohammed (four saves).

Then, on Windham’s 10th penalty corner, Dries had a shot blocked, then fed Wilcox for the winning tally.


“We just had to chance up the strategy a little bit,” said Wilcox. “Before, I was at the top of the circle, but this time, I pushed my way in. I just had to be aggressive. Zoe got the ball to me and I just knocked it in. It feels pretty amazing.”

Scarborough’s longtime coach, Kerry Mariello, called a timeout in an attempt to rally her team, and the Red Storm earned a corner with 25 seconds remaining, but Windham cleared the ball and ran out the clock.

“It’s absolutely devastating,” said Mariello. “It was a back-and-forth game and they capitalized on one extra goal and we didn’t, unfortunately. It felt like we controlled tempo and possession a lot of time, but they outwilled us at the end.’

“I’m happy with how be played this season. We had a great group and we had some great moments.”

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.