Brunswick’s Iain Clendening (6) swings back for a kick downfield in front of Mt. Ararat defender Ethan Berry during a Class A North semifinal game Saturday night in Topsham. Eric Maxim/The Times Record

TOPSHAM – The Brunswick boys soccer team struggled a bit to find its footing in the regular season finale to rival Mt. Ararat. dropping a 1-0 decision.

The Dragons had no such issues in the rematch, taking a 2-0 victory in a Class A North semifinal game Saturday night at Stadium Field.

The victory sent No. 3 Brunswick (12-3-1) into the regional final, where it will face No. 4 Lewiston on Tuesday at Cony High in Augusta.

No. 2 Mt. Ararat finished 12-2-2.

“Last game we had trouble scoring on them so to get the first one was just the breakthrough we needed and it was a relief for everybody,” said Jack Banks, who scored both goals Saturday night. “It felt like the first game there was a curse on us and we couldn’t score and this game scoring that first one just opened up so much for us.”

Lewiston beat the Dragons, 3-2, in early October, and Banks and company expect another tough battle with a trip to states on the line Tuesday.


“They’re a great team and so are we,” said Banks. “We’re a playoff team and when it comes to playoffs we have a lot drive and we’re just going to keep on working and play our game and see what the result at the end of they day is.”

Banks buried his first goal Saturday night at the 20:29 mark of the first half. After Eagles goalie Jacob Fullerton came out to make a save, the ball escaped his grasp and Banks fired a shot into the back of the net for a 1-0 lead.

Brunswick coach Mark Roma said it was crucial that Brunswick open the scoring.

“It feels good getting that first goal. I told the players ‘you’ve got to make hay when the sun shines,’ especially in the playoffs and especially against a team as well coached as they are,” said Roma. “You know when you’ve got a chance you need to bury them, you saw that the last time we played.”

Brunswick opened the second half with a couple of shots on goal, only to be turned away by Fullerton, who finished with seven saves.

The two teams went back and forth, with Brunswick controlling the midfield.


“I told the kids don’t be afraid to make plays,” said Roma.

Banks scored his second of the night with 10:02 remaining, with a rocket of a shot that deflected off the left post following a pass from Ibrahim Mwamba.

“The ball came to me as it was a great pass from Ibrahim and didn’t see anyone on me so I figured I might as well,” Banks said of the shot.

“That kid is a warrior. He’s technically sound, unselfish and a great leader,” added Roma about the senior captain.

Brunswick’s Brady Laforge made his lone save of the game late in the first half to preserve the shutout.

“My guys aren’t going to quit. We knew what we were up against (Saturday), everyone in our league is tough,” said Mt. Ararat coach Jack Rioux. “They’re not going to quit. They’d like another 10 more minutes to try to get one. It’s been a great group. No one was talking about us early on and we showed that we can play with anybody. Last time we got them, this time they got us, who knows what would happen in a third game.”

Comments are not available on this story.