HAMPDEN — In a high school career full of big goals, Yarmouth senior Ava Feeley scored the biggest one of all Saturday afternoon.

Feeley completed a hat trick by scoring in the second overtime to lift the Clippers to a 3-2 come-from-behind win over Hermon in the Class B girls’ soccer state championship game at Hampden Academy.

It’s the first state title for Yarmouth (15-3) since 2017, and the third straight loss in the state final for Hermon (17-1).

“Ava, I think she’s hands-down the best player in the state,” said Yarmouth Coach Andy Higgins. “Obviously, I’m biased because she’s ours. She scored three highlight-reel goals in a career of highlight-reel goals. She’s the first one to tell you, it’s not all her. She scores goals, but we put her in position to score goals. We do it together.”

Feeley’s winner came with 12:21 left in the second overtime. Taking a corner kick from Macy Gilroy at the left post, Feeley tapped the ball into the left corner of the net.

“Our connection on the field is unbelievable. I’m so happy that I get to play with her for this championship,” Feeley said of Gilroy, her friend and co-captain. “I just knew I had it in me. Everyone had a run in them.”


The goal completed Yarmouth’s comeback from an early 2-0 deficit.

Hermon scored just 2:03 into the game when Natalie Tardie took a pass from Lyndsee Reed and shot into the right corner of the net. Reed’s 41st goal of the season made it 2-0 with 9:22 left in the half.

“It was kind of a wake-up call for us. We knew Hermon was really good, and they were. They were amazing,” Feeley said.

Feeley’s first goal came with 7:53 left in the first half, on a long high shot. Feeley tied it with 49 seconds left in the first half with another high shot from 45 yards.

“We knew (Feeley) was dangerous, then she got the one from almost 45 yards out, and that was tough. All of a sudden, another loose ball pops to her, and she hits it again from God knows where. Those two hurt,” said Hermon Coach MJ Ball.

Yarmouth lost starting goalie Regan Sullivan with 24 minutes left in the first half when she was injured in a collision with a Hermon player. Sullivan was taken away via ambulance at halftime because of an apparent shoulder injury. Backup keeper Eden Young came in and played well after allowing Hermon’s second goal.


“We’re hoping for the best. Those girls rallied for Regan, and no one stepped up more for her than Eden. I love Eden. What a day,” Higgins said.

Young said she was initially nervous, but got over that quickly as adrenaline took over.

“I didn’t know what was happening with (Sullivan). She was totally down. I wanted her to be OK, but I had to step up,” Young said.

Feeley had three strong scoring chances in the first overtime. Hawks goalie Bella Bowden made two saves, and Feeley hit the left post.

Ball called the loss heartbreaking for his Hawks, who are now 0-5 in state championship games.

“It’s tough, because we’ve tried year after year to win this, and if we can’t win it with this group, I don’t know what group we’re going to win it with. This was our chance, and it’s going to sting,” Ball said.

Comments are no longer available on this story