Three people were rescued Tuesday night from a burning apartment building in Gorham.

One of the people pulled by firefighters from the building at 162 Narragansett St. was seriously injured and taken to Maine Medical Center, where he is believed to be in fair condition, Fire Chief Ken Fickett said. Another person rescued from the building also was taken to the hospital for injuries but was expected to be discharged Wednesday morning.

The fire started on the kitchen stove in a first-floor apartment of the 13-unit building and was ruled accidental by the Office of the State Fire Marshal. It was reported at 10:39 p.m. by a second-floor tenant.

Fickett said it appears the man who was seriously injured fell asleep while cooking.

“The fire completely gutted out that apartment and burned into two or three others. There’s probably smoke damage in all the other ones,” he said.

The fire was under control within 45 minutes. Gorham firefighters were assisted by seven other departments. Thirteen tenants have been displaced.

In January, the building was heavily damaged when a chain-reaction collision sent a car crashing through the wall of a first-floor apartment, narrowly missing a tenant inside. Eleven tenants were temporarily displaced while the building was inspected and stabilized so people could move back in.

Fickett said repairs on the 60-year-old building had been scheduled to begin this week.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: