OAKLAND — The Freeport girls’ lacrosse team is playing in a new class this spring, but it’s writing a familiar story.

Thanks to seven goals from junior Lana DiRusso, the No. 2 Falcons beat No. 6 Messalonskee 18-1 in a Class B semifinal Wednesday night at Veterans Field. Junior Mia Levesque added three goals and four assists, while Kiley Webber had three goals.

One year after winning the Class C state championship, the Falcons (15-1) will meet No. 4 seed and defending Class B champion Greely (12-4) in the state final on Saturday. The Rangers beat No. 1 seed Mt. Ararat 13-9 earlier in Wednesday, cementing their fourth straight trip to the state final.

“It’s so good to be back, especially with a completely new team this year,” said DiRusso, a midfielder. “We still made it all the way here, so it’s super exciting.”

Senior Emma-Jane Parsons scored the lone goal for the Eagles (10-6), who pulled off a surprise 10-5 victory over No. 3 Brunswick on June 8 in the quarterfinal round.

“I couldn’t be (prouder of the team), because I don’t think anyone thought we could get past (Brunswick); I don’t think anyone thought we’d have a winning season this year, with all the personnel that left,” said first-year Messalonskee Coach Cora Clukey. “We made great team plays against Brunswick. We could barely win a draw today. That’s something for us to grow and work on for next year, for sure.”


Freeport jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first quarter, with goals from DiRusso, Webber and Ava Stone. DiRusso added three goals in a four-minute stretch in the second quarter, and Webber got her second score off a DiRusso pass to give the Falcons a 7-0 halftime lead.

“We just wanted to come out with a lot of energy and come out as a team,” said Levesque, a midfielder. “We wanted to do a lot of team passing, be quick and on our toes. That was a really big part (of the strategy).”

“I didn’t cap Lana (on goals) today,” Freeport Coach Marcia Wood said. “Usually, I say ‘You’re done,’ after (seven goals). But it’s the playoffs. If you want to go nuts, I will let you go to the goalie as much as possible. For her confidence, she kind of needs that (backing) sometimes, and to keep her engaged in the game.”

The scoring floodgates opened for Freeport in the third quarter as the Falcons added four goals, including goals from Webber and DiRusso, in just over a four-minute stretch for an 11-0 lead.

Messalonskee responded with its goal with 6:24 remaining in the third, as Parsons sprinted down the middle of the field on a breakaway and slipped a shot past Freeport goalkeeper Hailly Curtis.

The Falcons then scored seven unanswered goals, including two more by DiRusso, for the final 18-1 score.

Freeport outshot Messalonskee by a 25-5 margin.

Greely beat Freeport in its lone matchup, an 8-7 victory in Freeport on April 19.

“We’ve got to play a good game (Saturday),” Wood said. “The passes all need to work. The defense needs to work. We need to capitalize on (Greely’s) mistakes, if they make any. And if we make any, we need to make sure we redeem ourselves and get all of that stuff back.”

Comments are not available on this story.