Police issued a shelter-in-place order to residents in the area of 600 Riverside Drive in Augusta on Friday. Police say a man facing various domestic violence and other charges was found dead on Tuesday. Anna Chadwick/Morning Sentinel file

AUGUSTA — Police said Tuesday they had recovered the body of the “armed and dangerous” man on the loose they have been searching for since the end of last week.

Augusta Police Chief Kevin Lully said in a news release that his department received information that a body may have been seen at the base of the Cushnoc Crossing Bridge in Augusta. Police responded to the bridge that carries Route 3 over the Kennebec River and confirmed a body was lying at the base of the bridge.

Once they recovered the body, officials identified it as that of Justin Larrabee, 40, of Augusta.

Police had responded around 1 p.m. Friday to a residence at 480 Riverside Drive to a report of a domestic assault. Police say Larrabee had allegedly displayed a firearm, made threats against his parents, and fled. Larrabee left the scene before police arrived. While his car was located, he was not.

Justin M. Larrabee Augusta Police Department photo

Lully said Tuesday that there’s no indication of how long Larrabee’s body had been lying by the bridge, and that the shorelines of the river had been searched. He did not say whether the gun that Larrabee used to threaten his family had been recovered.

Maine State Police issued a shelter-in-place advisory Friday night to residents in the Riverside Drive area of Augusta, and closed the road to traffic from Route 3 to Stevens Road. It reopened early Saturday, and police lifted the shelter-in-place order at midday Saturday while urging the public to remain safe and vigilant.


The search for Larrabee continued through the weekend. Late Monday afternoon, a number of Maine State Police vehicles were seen parked off Riverside Drive.

Around midday on Tuesday, area residents and passersby started posting reports of police and rescue personnel looking at the Kennebec River from the bridge.

Larrabee had also been identified as the man who was charged and indicted in connection with the vandalism in May 2023 of the Maine Law Enforcement Officers Memorial on State Street. The memorial lists the names of 88 law enforcement officers who died in the line of duty.

He was expected to have a dispositional conference at the Capital Judicial center on Wednesday on the 2023 charges of aggravated criminal mischief and criminal mischief. During dispositional conferences, lawyers for both sides of a case meet with a judge to explore potential resolutions to cases.

Related Headlines

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: