Sign In:


PORTLAND PRESS HERALD DARKROOM
Historic photos: Portland aerials

/

Helpful tips...

esc button

Use the LEFT / RIGHT keys to navigate the Darkroom

esc button

Use the UP key to show captions

esc button

Use the DOWN key to hide captions

esc button

Use the ESC key to close Darkroom

Find other amazing Darkroom photos below

  • DAILY HEADLINES

    Sign up and get all the top stories to begin the day delivered to your inbox.


close x
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1940: Airmen! Wondering how to get to the Portland Municipal Airport? Follow the arrow on top of the Fidelity Trust Building.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1935: Forest and Park Forest avenues with Deering Oaks Park at the left and the Portland Post Office at center. Marginal Way and Back Cove are in top left corner.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1940s: The Bayside Ball Park and vicinity photographed from the southwest. Back Cove is at the lower left corner. Munjoy Hill is in the background.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1954: Veterans Memorial Bridge under construction, seen from Portland side.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1940s: Forest Avenue with Howard Johnson's (463 Forest Ave.) at the center and, to the right, a A&P grocery store. The building at 49 Dartmouth St. at the left edge still exists. The Back Cove shore is along the upper edge of the photo.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1953: General view of Bayside, from Munjoy Hill, Marginal Way and Back Cove. The Nabisco Bakery building (now the USM library) can be seen in the distance.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1941: Baxter Boulevard, from south. Clifton Street at left.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1940s: Marginal Way photographed from the southeast. Kennebec Street merges into Forest Avenue at the bottom right. The Central Maine Power Co. building (with arched windows) is at the bottom of the frame.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1940s: Fore Street with the Thomas Laughlin Co. buildings on the far side of the street and the Grand Trunk grain elevator roof in the foreground. The house where Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was born is at the left edge of the photo and Eastern Cemetery is in the upper right.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1940: Monument Square. Middle Street is at the left. Edwards and Walker Hardware is the large building at bottom center facing the monument. Fidelity Trust (465 Congress Street), Chapman Building, now Time and Temperature building and on Elm Street, the Portland Society of Natural History Museum at the top right edge of the image. Notice the arrow on the top of the Fidelity Trust building. The arrow says PORTLAND and, with the large number 6 next to it, points the way to the airport as an aid to airmen.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1953: Veterans Memorial Bridge, viewed from northeast. Vaughan's Bridge at left. Fore River at right.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1947: The Oakdale neighborhood, bottom, where I-295 now is. Tennis courts, baseball field edge Deering Oaks Park. The post office is at the top left.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1940: Downtown from the northeast. The clock tower is just visible at the bottom of the photo. Portland High School at lower right corner.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    Around 1947: Taken from the Portland side of the Fore River, this shows the 'proposed site for new Vaughan's Bridge,' from northeast. Fore River at center. Vaughan's Bridge at left. Saint John Street in foreground and the oil tanks, Forest City Cemetery and Ligonia on the South Portland side of the river.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1930s: Park Avenue and Deering Avenue intersection, from southwest. Deering Oaks at left. Grant Street, Mellen Street at right. Sacred Heart Church at top tight corner. Parade procession from east along Park Avenue.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1957: Looking east along Commercial and Fore streets. Vine Street, Deer Street, Chatham Street demolition sites at left. The Thomas Block is at the bottom center, the Galt Block at center and the Maine State Pier at the right. The Grand Trunk Railroad's grain elevators and tracks are at the top.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1940s: Forest Avenue and the Puritan Cannery. Winslow Park is in the lower left corner and Back Cove in the background. The street coming in from the left is Winslow Street. The lower section of the photograph is where Exit 6A is of I-295.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1958: Presumpscot Street Dump site, flanked by Baxter Boulevard and Washington Avenue. Payson Park (out of view) at left.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1940s: Congress Square with Congress and Free street at center. The Eastland Hotel at left. Downtown area at top center. The intersection of Spring and State streets is at the right. The Portland Public Library (Baxter Building) is at the lower left.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1940s: Looking over the houses on Bowdoin Street to Western Cemetery in the West End. A replacement for Vaughan's Bridge, left, which met Main Street in South Portland was being considered.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1947: Fort Allen Park

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1947: The intersection of Park and Forest avenues with Deering Oaks Park taking up most of the frame and the post office at the lower right.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1957: Casco Street and Cumberland Avenue, from north.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1946: Game time at the Portland High School football field, looking northwest. Cars are parked along Deering Avenue at right and and Washburn Avenue, running perpendicular to Deering. Nathan Clifford school is at the top of the photo and in front of it the neighborhood of Oakdale. The Portland Exposition Building can just be seen at the left.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1930s: Back Cove, Baxter Boulevard, and the East Deering neighborhood photographed from the southwest. Mackworth Island is at the center rear. Payson Park is at the left and the Burnham and Morrill factory is at the right.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1947: Fitzpatrick Stadium with Deering Avenue, Deering Oaks Park and the Oakdale neighborhood.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1930s: The Central Fire Station is at the center with the U.S. District Court building at the bottom of the frame. The Second Parish Church is across the street from the fire station. The First Parish Church can be seen at the upper left. City Hall and the Press Herald building are to the left of center. Lincoln Park is at the right.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1947: Nissen bakery area, 59, Washington Avenue from southwest. Washington Avenue, Monroe Street, Oxford Street in foreground. Murray Lane at left. Linden Street, Nissen bakery at center. Larch Street [later, Romasco Lane], Cumberland Avenue at background right.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1940: The corner of Federal and Temple streets with Congress Street and Portland City Hall on the left. The Press Herald building is at the center and behind it the Central Fire station and Lincoln Park.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    Ca. 1940: Forest Avenue, between Bedford Street and Fessenden Street, from north. Nabisco building (314 Forest Avenue) at top left corner. From left: Bedford Street, Grasmere Road, Belmeade Road. From right: Oakhurst Dairy (364 Forest Avenue), Deering Estate, Falmouth Street.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1940: A parade lines Congress Street. Free Street parallels Congress to the left and Middle Street veers off Congress at Monument Square. Elm Street and the Science Museum is on the right.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    Late 1930s or early 1940s: View of Portland harbor, Portland's Grand Trunk grain elevators, looking over the South Portland shore and Ferry Village with Front Street in the foreground.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1949: Thomas Laughlin Company, 133-151 Fore Street, from southeast. Fore River at center. Roof of Grand Trunk grain elevator in foreground. Eastern Cemetery in background. Hancock Street, with Longfellow birthplace (161 Fore Street] at left. Mountfort Street at right.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1947: The Portland peninsula as seen from the South Portland side of the harbor. Knightville is bottom center. Central Maine Power's plant is seen in Portland harbor in center background.

    Show
  • Hide
    Historic photos: Portland aerials - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1949: Sagamore Village, from southwest. Brighton Avenue in foreground.

    Show