Sign In:


PORTLAND PRESS HERALD DARKROOM
Lighthouses photo gallery

/

Helpful tips...

esc button

Use the LEFT / RIGHT keys to navigate the Darkroom

esc button

Use the UP key to show captions

esc button

Use the DOWN key to hide captions

esc button

Use the ESC key to close Darkroom

Find other amazing Darkroom photos below

close x
  • Hide
    Lighthouses photo gallery - Derek Davis/Staff Photographer | of | Share this photo

    The Portland Head Light is reflected in a window of an outbuilding at Fort Williams Park in Cape Elizabeth on June 24.

    Show
  • Hide
    Lighthouses photo gallery - Derek Davis/Staff Photographer | of | Share this photo

    The oldest lighthouse in Maine, Portland Head Light, is seen through the fog at Fort Williams Park. It was completed in 1791.

    Show
  • Hide
    Lighthouses photo gallery - Shawn Patrick Ouellette/Staff Photographer | of | Share this photo

    Doubling Point Light in Arrowsic as seen through the dune grass on June 22. Doubling Point Light is one of Maine's river lights, built in 1898 on the Kennebec River.

    Show
  • Hide
    Lighthouses photo gallery - Ben McCanna/Staff Photographer | of | Share this photo

    Ram Island Ledge Light Station peeks behind Cushing Island as viewed from the backshore of Peaks Island. The Ram Island Ledge is a dangerous ledge at the northern entrance into Portland's outer harbor. A high-profile near-disaster in 1900 helped lead to construction of the lighthouse, which was first lit in 1905.

    Show
  • Hide
    Lighthouses photo gallery - Ben McCanna/Staff Photographer | of | Share this photo

    A seagull soars through the fog above Pemaquid Point Lighthouse in New Harbor, a village in Bristol. The present tower was built in 1835, on the west side of the entrance to Muscongus Bay.

    Show
  • Hide
    Lighthouses photo gallery - Ben McCanna/Staff Photographer | of | Share this photo

    A fog-shrouded Pemaquid Point Lighthouse stands amid outbuildings. A rendition of this lighthouse is featured on the Maine quarter that was released in June 2003.

    Show
  • Hide
    Lighthouses photo gallery - Michele McDonald/Staff Photographer | of | Share this photo

    The Marshall Point Lighthouse is at the end of the St. George peninsula in Port Clyde. The first lighthouse at Marshall Point was built in 1832. A new tower was built at its present site in 1858. It was modernized with electricity in 1935, and by 1971, automation replaced the need for a light keeper. In the movie "Forrest Gump," Tom Hanks, as the character Forrest, concluded his cross country run here.

    Show
  • Hide
    Lighthouses photo gallery - Michele McDonald/Staff Photographer | of | Share this photo

    Louis Rubino helps his daughter onto the beach near the Marshall Point light.

    Show
  • Hide
    Lighthouses photo gallery - Michele McDonald/Staff Photographer | of | Share this photo

    The steep climb up to the base of Owls Head Light is 53 steps, and Samantha McDonald, 17, takes them two at a time. McDonald, from Connecticut, was visiting Maine for the first time.

    Show
  • Hide
    Lighthouses photo gallery - Michele McDonald/Staff Photographer | of | Share this photo

    Owls Head Light is in Owls Head State Park. Visitors can swim and climb at the rocky beach.

    Show
  • Hide
    Lighthouses photo gallery - Michele McDonald/Staff Photographer | of | Share this photo

    The Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse was built in 1902 on the south end of the breakwater in Rockland Harbor.

    Show
  • Hide
    Lighthouses photo gallery - Michele McDonald/Staff Photographer | of | Share this photo

    The Rockland Breakwater itself is just under a mile long and took 18 years to build. It was begun in 1881 and built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers from locally quarried granite.

    Show
  • Hide
    Lighthouses photo gallery - Ben McCanna/Staff Photographer | of | Share this photo

    Bug Light looms in the background as pedestrians walk the perimeter of Bug Light Park in South Portland. Photographer Ben McCanna, in the first of a series of three photos, gets creative photographing the lighthouse, which was built in 1875 and was modeled on an ancient Greek monument.

    Show
  • Hide
    Lighthouses photo gallery - Ben McCanna/Staff Photographer | of | Share this photo

    The oil tanker Safa, out of Saudi Arabia, motors slowly past Bug Light and out of Portland Harbor.

    Show
  • Hide
    Lighthouses photo gallery - Ben McCanna/Staff Photographer | of | Share this photo

    A flag waves in the breeze near Bug Light. It is called Bug Light because of its small size but is formally named the Portland Breakwater Lighthouse.

    Show
  • Hide
    Lighthouses photo gallery - Brianna Soukup/Staff Photographer | of | Share this photo

    Teenagers fish near Spring Point Ledge Light on June 24. It is at the end of a 900 foot breakwater on the Southern Maine Community College campus in South Portland. The lamp was lit for the first time by its first keeper William A. Lane, on May 24, 1897.

    Show