PORTLAND PRESS HERALD DARKROOM
Maine Places to Love: Parkside

/

Helpful tips...

esc button

Use the LEFT / RIGHT keys to navigate the Darkroom

esc button

Use the UP key to show captions

esc button

Use the DOWN key to hide captions

esc button

Use the ESC key to close Darkroom

Find other amazing Darkroom photos below


    • Wake up to the local News you need

      Enter your email and our daily headlines will be delivered to your inbox each morning.


  • Hide
    Maine Places to Love: Parkside - | of | Share this photo

    Lanterns made by kids participating in a crafts workshop, organized by the Friends of Deering Oaks Park, hang out to dry and adorn a tree. (Staff photo by John Ewing)

    Show
  • Hide
    Maine Places to Love: Parkside - | of | Share this photo

    Donuts – raspberry glazed, dark chocolate sea salt, and vegan cinnamon sugar flavors, taking it from the top – at the Holy Donut on Park Avenue. (Staff photo by Gabe Souza)

    Show
  • Hide
    Maine Places to Love: Parkside - | of | Share this photo

    A Hadlock Field panorama captures a Portland Seadogs vs. New Haven Ravens game in 2003. (Staff photo by Joe Phelan)

    Show
  • Hide
    Maine Places to Love: Parkside - | of | Share this photo

    Runners charge down Park Avenue at the start of the Portland Sea Dogs Mother’s Day 5K several years ago. (Staff photo by Shawn Patrick Ouellette.)

    Show
  • Hide
    Maine Places to Love: Parkside - | of | Share this photo

    The Park Avenue Church of God was built c. 1908-1909 as the Second Advent Church. (Source: Greater Portland Landmarks. Staff photo by John Ewing)

    Show
  • Hide
    Maine Places to Love: Parkside - | of | Share this photo

    A vintage postcard depiction of the bridge at Deering Oaks. (File photo)

    Show
  • Hide
    Maine Places to Love: Parkside - | of | Share this photo

    Designed by architect Frederick A. Tompson in 1894, Deering Oaks’ “Castle in the Park” was originally a warming hut for skaters. (Staff photo by Gordon Chibroski)

    Show
  • Hide
    Maine Places to Love: Parkside - | of | Share this photo

    The Portland Expo, shown in a June 1927 photo (check the vehicle at right) was built in 1914. (File photo)

    Show
  • Hide
    Maine Places to Love: Parkside - | of | Share this photo

    “The Hiker” commemorative statue in Deering Oaks was designed in 1906 by Theo Alice Ruggles Kitson. (Staff photo by Gordon Chibroski)

    Show
  • Hide
    Maine Places to Love: Parkside - | of | Share this photo

    A pintail duck paddles through the reflection of a maple tree in the pond at Deering Oaks. (Staff photo by David MacDonald)

    Show
  • Hide
    Maine Places to Love: Parkside - | of | Share this photo

    Portland Sea Dogs welcoming mascot Slugger is among the many attractions at Hadlock Field. (Staff photo by Shawn Patrick Ouellette)

    Show
  • Hide
    Maine Places to Love: Parkside - | of | Share this photo

    The corner of Cumberland Avenue and High Street, looking north, in 1950. (Staff photo by Bill Curran Jr.)

    Show
  • Hide
    Maine Places to Love: Parkside - | of | Share this photo

    The interior of the Castle at Deering Oaks Park was restored in 2005 by the city and by the Friends of Deering Oaks. (Staff photo by Gordon Chibroski)

    Show
  • Hide
    Maine Places to Love: Parkside - | of | Share this photo

    The Holy Donut on Park Avenue debuted in March 2012. The building previously housed Terroni’s Market, which had opened in 1949. (Photo by Joel Page)

    Show
  • Hide
    Maine Places to Love: Parkside - | of | Share this photo

    The cornerstone for the Church of the Sacred Heart, shown in an undated photo, was laid on Nov. 15, 1896. (portlandcatholic.org)

    Show
  • Hide
    Maine Places to Love: Parkside - | of | Share this photo

    A game of ice hockey on the pond at Deering Oaks, with the steeple of Sacred Heart Church on Mellen Street rising above the trees. (Staff photo by David MacDonald)

    Show
  • Hide
    Maine Places to Love: Parkside - | of | Share this photo

    The pond, fountain and duck house at Deering Oaks. (Shutterstock)

    Show