Sign In:


PORTLAND PRESS HERALD DARKROOM
Once upon a walk around Portland

/

Helpful tips...

esc button

Use the LEFT / RIGHT keys to navigate the Darkroom

esc button

Use the UP key to show captions

esc button

Use the DOWN key to hide captions

esc button

Use the ESC key to close Darkroom

Find other amazing Darkroom photos below

    • Wake up to the local News you need

      Enter your email and our daily headlines will be delivered to your inbox each morning.

close x
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - | of | Share this photo

    1937: Jack Branz Used Cars, 315 Forest Avenue at the corner of Forest and Baxter Boulevard.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1937: Wilson's store at 478 Congress Street at the corner of Congress and Center streets.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1937: Smith and Abbott Co., wholesale and distributors of plumbing supplies, 68 - 78 Union Street . The Portland Harbor Hotel is on this site now.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1937: Universal Laundry building at 307 Cumberland Ave at Elm Street. The building still exists, but the entryway and windows have been altered.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1937: The Art Deco facade of Loring, Short, and Harmon at 474 Congress.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - | of | Share this photo

    1937: Dyer Knight Company at the southwest corner of Cumberland Avenue and Preble Street. The building currently houses the Preble Street teen shelter.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1938: Porteous Department Store at 522-528 Congress Street.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1938: Motley Block, 511 Congress Street. The building was torn down and Ocean Gate Plaza stands in its place now.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1938: Talbot, Brooks, and Ayer building, 269 - 273 Commercial Street.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1938: J.E. Palmer and Lamey-Wellahan on Congress Street.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1938: Federal Furniture, 255 Middle Street. The Nickelodeon Cinema and Temple Street garage are on this site.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1938: This building on the southeast corner of Exchange and Middle streets still stands but with a diminished tower and roof line. The building in the left foreground is the post office which was built after the fire and torn down 100 years later in 1965.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1938: Leavitt & Parris in snow on Commercial Wharf around 230 Commercial Street. The buildings are no longer there.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1938: Portland Bargain Store, southwest corner of Congress and Center Streets.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1939: The Civic Theatre at 477 Congress Street, the building now known as the 'Time and Temperature Building.'

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1939: If you had strolled by the Portland Observatory in 1939, the building would have been obscured by scaffolding during a Works Progress Administration renovation of the structure. The building on the west side of the building has been torn down.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1939: Loring, Short, and Harmon 474 Congress Street, now numbered 50 Monument Square.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1939: Underwood Elliot Fisher typewriter store at 195 Federal Street where the Temple Street Garage now stands.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1940: Puritan Tea Room at 566 Congress Street.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1940: Congress Street and Forest Avenue looking north. Congress Square Hotel, 579 Congress Street, is at left. The two adjoining buildings down the hill are still standing. Next to them is the Jackson School which was sold to the Eastland Hotel in 1972. There is a parking lot in that spot today. The YMCA is in the distant background right.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1941: Edwards and Walker, 5 Monument Square (eastern portion of Monument Square where the 1 Monument Square office building stands now).

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1941: F.O. Bailey at the corner of Free and South streets. The civic center is on this spot and South Street no longer goes through to Free.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1941: Frank M. Brown hardware and paint store at 12-16 Free Street.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1941: Burbank &; Douglass, 242 Middle Street, at Cross Street. The parking lot of One Portland Square is on this site now.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1941: Falmouth Hotel, 212 Middle Street at the northeast corner of Middle and Temple streets. The hotel was closed and the property transferred to the City of Portland in 1963.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1942: Globe Laundry, 26-38 Temple Street where the Temple Street garage and Nickelodeon Theater are. An earlier ad for the business stated: Globe Laundry 26, 28, 30, 32, 34, 36 and 38 Temple Street, Portland, Maine Largest and Best Equipped Laundry in the State We Make a Specialty of PARCEL POST BUSINESS

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1942: Murdock's Jewelers and Opticians, 537 Congress Street (J.B. Brown Block).

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1942: T.F. Foss Furniture, 49 Dartmouth Street.

    Show
  • Hide
    Once upon a walk around Portland - Portland Press Herald photo courtesy Portland Public Library Special Collections and Archives | of | Share this photo

    1942: Charles McLaughlin wholesale groceries, 8 - 10 Dana Street. The building now houses Vignola Cinque Terre.

    Show