Sign In:


PORTLAND PRESS HERALD DARKROOM
6,500 South Portland historical photos now online

/

Helpful tips...

esc button

Use the LEFT / RIGHT keys to navigate the Darkroom

esc button

Use the UP key to show captions

esc button

Use the DOWN key to hide captions

esc button

Use the ESC key to close Darkroom

Find other amazing Darkroom photos below

X
  • Hide
    6,500 South Portland historical photos now online - Photo courtesy of South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    Organized in 1874, the Samaritan Society worked with members of the Evergreen Circle in the Willard neighborhood to make improvements at the Mount Pleasant Cemetery.

    Show
  • Hide
    6,500 South Portland historical photos now online - Photo courtesy of South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    Why is it called Cash Corner? That’s where Andrew J. Cash operated a grocery store, shown here in a photo taken around 1891. The store was located on the eastern corner of the intersection of Broadway and Main Street/Route 1. From the Patricia Cash Murray Harmon Collection.

    Show
  • Hide
    6,500 South Portland historical photos now online - Photo courtesy of South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    Andrew J. Cash stands inside his grocery store around 1891. It was located on the eastern corner at the intersection of Broadway and Main Street/Route 1, an area still known as Cash Corner. From the Patricia Cash Murray Harmon Collection.

    Show
  • Hide
    6,500 South Portland historical photos now online - Photo courtesy of South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    An aerial view of Mill Creek Park around 1954. Some buildings visible include the South Portland Armory, upper left corner; South Portland High School, middle left; and the former Trefethen's Garage, bottom left corner. Also, the first Shaw's Supermarket building and the former A & P grocery store on Ocean Street at Hinckley Drive, and the large First National Store that was built around 1954. The Mill Creek Shopping Plaza, built in 1955, had not been constructed. From the Linda and Mike Eastman Collection.

    Show
  • Hide
    6,500 South Portland historical photos now online - Photo courtesy of South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    A portrait of the Lovell Arms baseball team, made up of workers from the John P. Lovell Arms Co., a sporting goods firm that made both hunting rifles and the famed Lovell Diamond bicycles. The factory was located in Ferry Village in the 1890s.

    Show
  • Hide
    6,500 South Portland historical photos now online - Photo courtesy of South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    An undated menu from the former Howard Johnson's Restaurant at 675 Main St.

    Show
  • Hide
    6,500 South Portland historical photos now online - Photo courtesy of South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    Walter Tarling holds the reins of a horse-drawn Willard Express delivery wagon circa 1900. From the Judith Holbrook Kelley Collection.

    Show
  • Hide
    6,500 South Portland historical photos now online - Photo courtesy of South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    The dedication program from the opening of the Broadway School, March 10, 1910. Later renamed the Henley School, the building at 245 Broadway is now the Henley Condominiums.

    Show
  • Hide
    6,500 South Portland historical photos now online - Photo courtesy of South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    Lawrence and Edwin Roberts pose with an “egg-sucking dog” in an undated photo taken at the Dawson family farm, which was near 1587 Broadway and Dawson Street.

    Show
  • Hide
    6,500 South Portland historical photos now online - Photo courtesy of South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    An aerial view of the South Portland shipyards in the fall of 1941. Note the grain elevators on the Portland waterfront across the harbor, and Back Cove in the distance. A small portion of Bug Light's breakwater was still visible at this point, but most of the original 1,990 foot marine structure had been buried under fill to create the shipways at the West Yard.

    Show
  • Hide
    6,500 South Portland historical photos now online - Photo courtesy of South Portland Historical Society | of | Share this photo

    The employee badge of an unknown worker at the South Portland shipyards, which operated during World War II. Measuring a little more than 2 inches long, the badge includes his photo and employee number.

    Show