AMHERST, Mass. – It wasn’t a win but it was a step in the right direction.

On a night when Maine let a two-goal lead get away and failed to convert on a five-minute power play that could have sealed a win, the Black Bears did manage to gain a point in a 2-2 tie with Massachusetts before 4,621 at the Mullins Center.

The losing streak stopped at four but the winless skein is five for the Black Bears, who will break away from college comptition to play the U.S under-18 team Wednesday night at Alfond Arena.

“It was a hard-fought game by both teams,” Maine Coach Tim Whitehead said. “We did some good things.”

Whitehead was especially pleased with the penalty killing that held UMass without a score on seven tries, the last one in overtime when Joey Diamond took a major for hitting from behind at 2:39. UMass had four shots in overtime.

“And (during the game) they had a lot of looks,” Whitehead said.

Diamond wasn’t the first player to take a costly major. Eric Filou did the same for UMass with 27 seconds left in the second period on a hit along the boards on Theo Andersson. But the Black Bears (3-6-2, 3-5-1 Hockey East) failed to capitalize, and that appeared to turn the momentum in favor of UMass.

Only 36 seconds after the major ended, Steven Guzzo tied the game.

Whitehead was pleased his team kept its composure after the goal.

“There was no panic on the bench,” he said.

Maine goaltender Dan Sullivan had a solid game with 35 saves. UMass goaltender Jeff Teglia, a roamer, also played well with 29 saves.

The Black Bears took a 1-0 lead when Mark Anthoine scored on a power play at 5:55 of the first period. Kyle Beattie sent a pass to Anthoine, who one-timed a shot from the left faceoff circle.

Sullivan had given Maine an early lift, stopping Filou alone in front just over four minutes into the period. Sullivan later stayed with a hard right-handed one-timer by Branden Gracel.

The second Maine goal came only 46 seconds after the Black Bears killed off an interference penalty to Jake Rutt. UMass defenseman Adam Phillips was leaning over Jeff Teglia at the post to the goaltender’s left when Brian Flynn tucked it in the corner at 12:49. Teglia said after the game that he was screened by Phillips and a Maine forward, and never saw it.

The Black Bears held a 13-10 shot advantage in the period, and killed off all three UMass power plays while scoring on their own opportunity.

UMass played much better in the second period, tying the game at 11:11 when Michael Pereira swept a shot in from the right circle on an across-the-slot pass from Conor Sheary.

Whitehead was also happy that the team scored on one of its power plays because special teams had been a big focus of the week.

UMass Coach Toot Cahoon knew the Black Bears were going to be a handful in the first period, wanting to break that losing streak.

“As advertised, they came in with a distinct attitude and they outcompeted us for the first half of the game,” Cahoon said. “Teglia played pretty well and we were fortunate that we didn’t go down by more than 2-0.”

Flynn has nine goals in 10 career games against UMass.