Deli reopens at restaurant flooded by water main break

The deli at J.P. Thornton’s Cafe and Deli has reopened after a flood last week caused by a water main break.

The restaurant at 740 Broadway was among about a half-dozen businesses damaged when the water main broke on Sept. 6.

The pub section of the restaurant will reopen Thursday, said Sarah O’Connell, general manager of the restaurant. She said the main portion of the restaurant still needs new carpeting, but she hopes it will reopen within a week.

A fundraiser Tuesday night raised about $2,300 to go toward the cost of repairing the damage, O’Connell said.

“People were very generous and a lot stopped by,” she said.


State drug agents helping in fatal car fire investigation

The Maine Drug Enforcement Agency has been called in to help with the investigation into the deaths of three people found inside a burned-out car in Bangor a month ago, indicating that the homicides may be drug-related.

Detective Sgt. Paul Kenison confirmed Tuesday that the MDEA is helping, but would not specifically say what the agency’s role is. He says many agencies are involved. The MDEA also refused comment on its role.

Kenison told the Bangor Daily News that no arrests have been made and did not say whether police have identified any suspects. He said the investigation is moving forward.

The victims have been identified as Daniel Borders, 26, of Hermon; Nicolle Lugdon, 24, of Eddington, and Lucas Tuscano, 28, of Bradford.


Officers and sergeants voteno confidence in police chief

Members of the Kittery police officers union have taken a vote of no confidence in Chief Paul Callaghan.

The patrol officers and sergeants voted Sept. 2 and Sept. 3, according to a letter to Town Manager Robert Markel. In it, the officers cited concerns about inadequate staffing, new policies that changed long-standing practices and Callaghan’s leadership style. They said the vote was unanimous among the 15 members.

Callaghan, hired in January, said in a letter to Markel that the complaints are the result of resistance to needed reforms that are common in other departments. He disputed many of the union’s contentions.

Both sides said the dispute would not interfere with public safety.


Man sentenced for cashing late mother’s annuity checks

A Rumford man who continued to collect his mother’s insurance annuity payments for more than three years after her death has pleaded guilty.

Rupert Malchisky was sentenced Tuesday in Oxford County Superior Court to one year, all suspended, and two years of probation. He was also ordered to repay $1,200 to the insurance company.

The 57-year-old Malchisky pleaded guilty to forgery and theft by deception.

Prosecutors say Malchisky’s mother was receiving annuity payments from Allstate Insurance Co. until her death in April 2008. An insurance company investigator found Malchisky and his ex-wife had cashed more than $12,000 in checks meant for Malchisky’s mother.

The Sun Journal reported that his ex-wife told investigators that Malchisky had coerced her to sign the checks.


Reward in canoe theft case includes $250, gallon of gin

A northern Maine family is offering an unusual reward for the return of a vintage canoe stolen a month ago.

Darlene Kelly Dumond of Allagash says the family is offering $250 and a gallon of gin for any information leading to the recovery of what she calls a family heirloom.

The canoe that belonged to her father, Tyler Kelly, was last seen tied up at the village’s public landing on Aug. 12.

Kelly, now 75 and retired, was a well-known guide and riverman who used to race canoes.

His daughter told the Bangor Daily News the unusual reward was thought up by a friend who figured a gallon of gin would spark some interest in the dry town.

The Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife is investigating the canoe theft.


Couple who brought meth to U.S. get prison terms

A Canadian woman and her American husband have been sentenced to federal prison terms for bringing methamphetamine into the U.S. from Canada and selling it in Aroostook County.

Prosecutors say David Fleming, 30, sold 160 methamphetamine tablets to someone on Oct. 19. His wife, Tanya Fleming, 32, admitted to driving him across the border to make the delivery.

The Bangor Daily News reported that David Fleming was sentenced to three years and four months in federal prison. Tanya Fleming was sentenced to one year and eight months in federal prison.

The couple had been living with their three children in Perth Andover, New Brunswick, at the time of their arrest.

The Flemings pleaded guilty in December.