beforeafter

Oct. 9, 2015, photo by Joel Page/Staff photographer; 1969 Maine Sunday Telegram photograph courtesy of Portland Portland Library Special Collections & Archives (photographer uncredited)

The historic Shiloh Chapel in Durham was built as part of a religious community established in 1897 by the Rev. Frank W. Sandford.

The older photo appeared in the July 6, 1969, Maine Sunday Telegram with an article by staff writer William H. Williamson. The following is an excerpt from that story:

“Shiloh Chapel is all that remains of a rather spectacular set of buildings, built around the turn of the century to house students and followers of a small religious sect variously called The Kingdom and the Holy Ghost and Us Society.”

The Portland Room of the Portland Public Library is in the process of organizing and conserving the archival collection of original Portland Press Herald, Maine Sunday Telegram and Evening Express photographic negatives — a major collection that spans from 1937 to 2005. Find more photos at www.pressherald.com/flashback/.


Comments are not available on this story.