WELLS — A home at 43 Valley Road was destroyed by fire this afternoon, but no injuries were reported.

Wells Fire Chief Dan Moore said the fire is believed to have been caused by improper disposal of smoking materials.

When firefighters arrived around 3:30 p.m., about half the building was on fire and it had gone through the roof.

An occupant of the home was attempting to use a garden hose to extinguish the fire, Moore said.
Firefighters from Wells, North Berwick, Sanford and Kennebunk responded.