Pedestrian killed; police seek help identifying victim

Police on Saturday night were trying to identify a man who was struck by a car and killed on River Road in Windham earlier in the day.

The accident happened around 2:50 p.m. According to witnesses, the man stepped out onto River Road, near the Westbrook line, and an oncoming car swerved to avoid him, said Windham police Sgt. David Thomas.

But a second car in the line of traffic was not able to avoid the man, and struck him, Thomas said.

Thomas said the man had no identification on him and police had been unable to identify him. Thomas said the man was probably in his late 40s or early 50s, with scraggly brown hair, partially gray, and a beard. He was wearing an orange Baltimore Orioles baseball cap.

Anyone who might know who the man is should call Windham police at 892-2525.

The car that struck the man was 1995 Toyota Camry driven by Paul Cady of Westbrook. The accident is still under investigation but Thomas said that, according to witness accounts, the cause will likely turn out to be “pedestrian error.”

The accident prompted police to close River Road from Anderson Road to the Westbrook line. In Westbrook, where the road is known as Cumberland Street, it was closed from the Windham town line to Pierce Street. The road was reopened in both directions by about 6:50 p.m.


Vehicle hits pole on parkway, landing driver in hospital

Scarborough police Saturday were investigating a single-vehicle accident that left the driver in the hospital with serious injuries.

On routine patrol around 3:55 a.m. Saturday, Officer Brian Nappi found a car off the road on Haigis Parkway, near Scottow Hill Road, and noticed that the car had struck a utility pole.

The driver was transported to Maine Medical Center in Portland “suffering serious bodily injury,” according to police. Police were still investigating the accident Saturday night.


Described as ‘missing person by choice,’ man is found safe

William Longley, 54, who was the subject of a missing-person search in the woods of Hancock County on Friday, was located Saturday.

Police and the Maine Warden Service began a search Friday after Longley’s wife reported he had left their home in Brooklin on Thursday night, distraught, and might be heading for the woods, said Lt. Patrick Kane of the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department.

But on Saturday, Longley contacted his wife and was found to be safe.

“After calling off the search Friday night, we knew he wasn’t in the woods, that he’d become a missing person by choice,” Kane said.

The search had included a plane and search dogs.