BIDDEFORD – Same bell, different place. And a tradition continued Friday night for the storied Biddeford High football program.

Usually the Tigers have to travel from Waterhouse Field to the high school to ring their victory bell after a win. But with construction at the school, the bell was moved to the field.

And there it was rung after the Tigers downed Massabesic 21-14 in a Western Class A game.

“We brought it over to at least be able to maintain our tradition,” said Coach Scott Descoteaux. “And that certainly feels good.”

Biddeford (2-0) took its first lead in the fourth quarter on a safety — the result of an illegal forward pass in the end zone that made it 15-14. On the ensuing possession, the Tigers added an eight-play, 42-yard scoring drive.

Nick Gagne, who scored all three of Biddeford’s touchdowns, accounted for seven plays and 41 yards of the drive. He ran the ball in from 4 yards with just over eight minutes remaining.

“One point by any stretch of the imagination wasn’t good enough,” said Descoteaux. “To go up by a score and then put the extra point through was nice. We definitely needed that.”

The Mustangs (0-2) came up empty on their next drive, when 30 penalty yards negated two first downs. A downfield pass intercepted by Patrick Wilson halted Massabesic’s final threat.

“They were selfish penalties and we can’t have those,” said Massabesic Coach John Morin. “All of a sudden you take those penalties away and you put those yards that we had to gain on the other end of the chains. We were moving the football well, but those are some of the things we need to fix.”

After a rough first half and down by a touchdown, the Tigers opened the third quarter with Gagne’s first score.

A 19-yard run by quarterback Tyler Audie brought Biddeford into Massabesic territory, and two plays later, Gagne’s 12-yard effort took the Tigers just inside the 20. Audie added runs of 8 and 9 yards, and Gagne ran in from the 2. A Connor Morrison kick capped the 62-yard drive and made it 7-7.

“Way too many errors in the first half and mistakes in many facets of the game that made us tighten our belts at halftime,” said Descoteaux. “It’s nice to be able to regroup, not only come back out of halftime but to go back down again (and score).”

Massabesic quickly responded and was back in control just 12 seconds later thanks to a 75-yard kickoff return by Casey Nava.

The Tigers stormed right back on their next possession. A 30-yard completion from Audie to Dan Tanguay put the Tigers in prime field position, where they again entrusted Gagne with the ball.

He had four of the next six touches, accounting for 20 of the final 30 yards, and scored from 1 yard to complete the 66-yard drive. The Mustangs blocked the PAT and held onto the lead until the fourth.

Massabesic’s first touchdown came early in the second quarter.

Jake Desrochers found Nava downfield, who scampered his way to the end zone for the 60-yard completion.