PORTLAND – Bonny Eagle Coach Kevin Cooper says his team has one of its most balanced running attacks in the program’s history.

At Bonny Eagle, that’s saying a lot.

The triumvirate of quarterback Matt Rollins and halfbacks Nick Adkins and Ethan Thorne did nothing to dispel their coach’s statement, as they ran up and down the field in the rain to lead Bonny Eagle to a 34-12 win over Deering in a battle of unbeaten teams Thursday night at Memorial Field.

The Scots (3-0) overcame a shaky start, as Deering needed only four plays to take a 6-0 lead. Bonny Eagle also had early penalty problems that Cooper said “was frustrating”

But once the Scots got rolling, there was no stopping them.

“We just tried to do the things we do well,” said Rollins, a senior who is starting at quarterback for the first time. “With the weather, we had to use our running game.”

That’s what Bonny Eagle did successfully. The Scots’ defense also contained Deering quarterback Jamie Ross and his receivers in the second half, no easy task, after the Rams burned them early.

“Deering was ready to go,” said Cooper. “We had to stay together to come out with a win.”

Rollins and Adkins scored two touchdowns apiece, and Thorne had the other.

Ross hit wide receiver John Hardy for a 49-yard completion on the game’s opening play. The Rams (2-1) scored three plays, later as Ross passed to Renaldo Lowry for an 11-yard score.

What turned the game around for Bonny Eagle were back-to-back kickoffs that led to touchdowns. It all happened in less than four minutes.

After the Scots pulled ahead 7-6 early in the second quarter, Deering fumbled the kickoff. Bonny Eagle recovered at the 27 and scored in five plays.

On first down, Adkins ran for 13 yards. The Scots were called for holding, but Rollins passed to Cam Cooper for 12 yards, then ran for 4 yards, and Adkins scored on the next play on first-and-goal from the 4.

Nate Martel’s next kickoff was high and short to the right, and the Rams failed to cover it. Chris Hale ran down and pounced on the ball for the Scots.

“Hale came flying down the field and made a great play,” said Rollins.

Rollins scored on a 20-yard run on second down, and Martel’s kick made it 21-6.

Deering recovered to score on a 1-yard run by Ross. The key play on the drive was a Ross-to-Hardy pass on fourth-and-4 that covered 48 yards to the 1.

But Rollins dashed 62 yards to the Deering 1 and scored from there with 2:38 left in the half. Martel’s kick made it 28-12.

The Scots nearly added to their lead before halftime, but a fumble recovery by Deering linebacker John Miranda after a 50-yard run by Thorne ended the threat.

Adkins scored the final touchdown on a 26-yard run at the end of the third quarter.

Deering had good field position several times in the second half but couldn’t capitalize.

Rollins finished with 195 yards rushing on 18 carries. Adkins had 108 yards on 19 attempts, and Thorne gained 90 yards on nine carries.

Seeing his team improve to 3-0 didn’t put Cooper’s mind at ease as he looked ahead.

“I still think the league is wide open,” he said. “All the coaches feel that if they can get to the playoffs, anything could happen.”

Staff Writer Tom Chard can be contacted at 791-6419 or at:

[email protected]