Brunswick woman faces charges in stabbing case

A Brunswick woman made bail and was released from police custody Sunday following her arrest earlier in the day in connection with a stabbing.

Nicole Hubert, 32, was charged with elevated aggravated assault.

Police suspect her of stabbing a 37-year-old man around 2 a.m. in a home on Madeline Drive.

After the incident, Hubert and another person started driving to a hospital with the victim, but, according to police, Hubert jumped from the moving vehicle on Soper Road in Durham.

A passer-by called for the Durham Rescue Squad, and both Hubert and the stabbing victim were taken by ambulance to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston.

The victim’s injuries, according to police, were serious but not life-threatening.

Hubert was released from the hospital after being treated for minor injuries sustained when jumping from the car.


Temporary lane closures on Tukeys Bridge today

Drivers heading north on Tukeys Bridge today can expect to encounter temporary lane closures.

Mark Latti, a spokesman for the Maine Department of Transportation, said the closures were scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. Sunday as construction crews begin preparations to separate Washington Avenue from Interstate 295.

The lane closures will continue today so that crews can paint solid stripes designating travel lanes during the Tukeys Bridge rehabilitation project. Latti said through traffic will be allowed at all times during the striping project.

But on Tuesday, a concrete barrier will be erected that will close Exit 8 and completely separate northbound traffic on Tukeys Bridge from Washington Avenue. As a result, Washington Avenue will become a local road only.

The effort is part of a substantial I-295 repair project that will continue through the fall. Road and bridge repair work has been designed to minimize the impact on motorists.

Drivers are advised to pay close attention to signage connected with the repair project and to observe reduced-speed zones. For more information, maps or to sign up for email alerts, go to


Speaker wants lawmaker barred from State House

Maine House Speaker Robert Nutting said Sunday he’s “deeply troubled” by the arrest of a state lawmaker accused of pointing a handgun at a newspaper photographer.

Rep. Frederick Ladd Wintle, R-Garland, was charged Saturday with criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon and carrying a concealed weapon, police said.

Nutting, R-Oakland, said Sunday that Wintle should be barred from the State House as a condition of bail. Wintle, who was due to make his initial court appearance today, remained jailed Sunday evening on $3,500 cash bail.

The confrontation happened in a Dunkin’ Donuts parking lot in Waterville. Morning Sentinel photographer Michael Seamans of Sidney told the newspaper he’d never seen Wintle before, and he wasn’t carrying his camera.

During the confrontation, Wintle accused Seamans of being “the drug dealer of the woman whose baby died in Waterville,” police said. Police said neither Wintle nor Seamans are tied to the investigation of an infant’s death Wednesday at a Waterville homeless shelter.