Fire destroys garage, vehicle but doesn’t spread to home

Fire destroyed an attached garage and a vehicle on Hamilton Street on Wednesday night.

Fire Chief Kevin Guimond said the fire at 81 Hamilton St. was reported at 7:12 p.m. The timing was fortunate because the Fire Department was hosting a union meeting a few blocks away from the fire.

“About 45 guys were there in five minutes,” Guimond said. “We had the fire knocked down in 20 minutes.”

However, they were unable to save the garage or a Dodge minivan parked inside the garage. Guimond said firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading to the home.

Three people who were having dinner smelled smoke and were able to flee to safety. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.


Bay State company applies to build methadone clinic

A Massachusetts company is proposing to build a methadone clinic in southern Maine.

Spectrum Health Systems Inc. of Worcester, Mass., has submitted an application to operate an outpatient treatment clinic in Sanford. Methadone is a synthetic narcotic used to treat people addicted to opiates.

The application must go through site plan and Planning Board review. The Town Council would also hold two public hearings.


Would-be burglar arrested inside house on Main Street

Police said a South Portland man was caught in the act after an alert neighbor reported a burglary in progress Tuesday night.

Officers were sent to a home on Main Street at 7 p.m. The elderly resident was not at home, but police said they found Kasey Crissinger, 21, inside.

Crissinger was charged with burglary and theft by unauthorized taking, both felonies, and criminal mischief. He also was charged with theft in connection with an earlier shoplifting complaint at a Hannaford supermarket.

Crissinger was being held in the Cumberland County Jail on $10,000 bail.


Head-on collision sends four people to hospitals

Four people were taken to hospitals Wednesday night after a head-on collision.

A dispatcher for the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office said two vehicles collided shortly after 7 p.m. at the intersection of North Raymond Road and Shaker Woods Road.

The towns of Raymond, Poland and Gray sent ambulances to the crash. Three people were taken to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston, and the other was taken to Maine Medical Center in Portland.

Their names and injuries were unavailable late Wednesday night.


Deadline extended to raise funds to save Timber Point

The deadline has been extended for a group of conservationists trying to preserve a parcel of undeveloped land in Biddeford.

Wolfe Tone, state director for The Trust for Public Land, said $200,000 is needed to reach the fundraising goal for purchasing 97 acres of undeveloped land off Granite Point Road and a small island near the mouth of the Little River, known as Timber Point. 

The Ewing family, who have offered to sell the land for $5.125 million, had originally set Thursday as a deadline for the sales agreement. Tone said they are willing to extend that deadline to Sept. 30. 

Those interested in helping these organizations can send checks designated “Save Timber Point” to the Kennebunkport Conservation Trust, P.O. Box 7004, Cape Porpoise, ME 04014. For more information, go to or call 967-3465.


Police capture man wanted since July on many charges

A man who was sought by Gorham and Windham police on numerous charges was apprehended Wednesday afternoon in Gorham.

Gorham Sgt. Dan Young and Officer Brent Frank captured Michael McGraw, 29, of Gorham after a brief foot chase near College Avenue.

Police said they stopped a car around 4:30 p.m. on College Avenue on the suspicion that McGraw might be in it. McGraw, who had been hiding in the car, got out and ran.

McGraw was taken into custody on arrest warrants from Gorham and Windham charging him with eluding an officer, speeding, driving to endanger, operating under the influence, illegal possession of a firearm by a felon, driving after license suspension, burglary, theft, theft by receiving stolen property, and criminal mischief.

He was being held Wednesday night in the Cumberland County Jail on $35,000 bail.

Police agencies across New England had been working since July with Gorham and Windham police to locate McGraw.

— From staff and news services