FALMOUTH – Matt Kingry threw for three second-half touchdowns to lead Falmouth to a 33-14 victory over Marshwood in a Western Class B football game Saturday afternoon.

The senior quarterback enjoyed a masterful second half to rally his side from behind and blow a close game wide open.

Falmouth (3-0) trailed by one after the first half but Kingry connected with Jack Cooleen on a 33-yard touchdown strike on Falmouth’s first series of the third quarter to put the Yachtsmen in the lead 19-14 after a failed extra point.

“The first half I struggled a little bit,” said Kingry, who was 6 of 8 for 86 yards in the second half to go along with 119 yards rushing. “Once I got running, the whole flow of the game picked up. I was able to really connect with receivers because the multi-threat aspect of our offense. That definitely helped a lot.”

On their next possession Kingry found Ryan MacDonald on an 11-yard TD score and then passed to Cooleen for a successful 2-point conversion to put the Yachtsmen ahead 27-14. Kingry’s final scoring drive of the half covered 88 yards and included a personal 41-yard run as well as a 14-yard touchdown pass to Michael Ryan. The Yachtsmen missed the extra point on the final scoring play of the game.

“What we knew and talked about at halftime was that with a few adjustments we could shut them down defensively and we had too much offensive horsepower and we let loose in the second half,” said Falmouth Coach John Fitzsimmons. “(Kingry) really stepped up to be the player that we know he can be in the second half. He has great vision and obviously throws a very good football.”

While the Yachtsmen were thriving in the second half, the Hawks were struggling just to hang on. Their first three possessions in the half ended quickly, all concluding with punts after just three plays. To make matters worse, they lost their starting running back, Reggie Muchemore, to injury during the second series. The third-year starter in the backfield had 17 carries for 63 yards before leaving the game.

“Offensively, that was a huge loss for us when our go-to back is out of the game,” said Marshwood Coach John Caverly. “We have a lot of young kids out there that are getting a lot of experience, particularly in our secondary. We actually have four first-year varsity players out there so we’ll get better. That’s all we can do.”

The game started with a bang for the Yachtsmen as Will Sipperly returned the opening kickoff 78 yards for a touchdown. The point-after attempt missed and Falmouth led 6-0 just 13 seconds into the game.

“That’s the first time that I ever returned a kickoff so it can’t get any better than that,” Sipperly said. “I brought it up the middle, made one cut and just saw the wide open space and I just took it to the house.”

The Hawks answered early in the second quarter on a 15-play drive that was capped by a two-yard touchdown run by Beau Blanchette.