CUMBERLAND – Julia Maine scored a second-half goal Thursday to lead fourth-seeded Greely to a 1-0 victory against fifth-ranked Leavitt in a Western Class B field hockey quarterfinal.

Greely advanced to take on top-ranked York, which also advanced Thursday with a 4-0 victory against Lake Region, in a semifinal Saturday.

The semifinal will be a rematch of last season’s Western Class B championship game, captured by York.

Maine’s goal came 1:36 into the second half after Eliza Porter sent a shot to the front of the Leavitt goal. Maine was in perfect position to tip the ball past goalkeeper Taylor Eells.

“I think the goal helped us a lot but I think it sort of broke them down,” said Maine, one of Greely’s top threats in the regular season. “We just kept strong after that. I think we were strong through the whole game and we just couldn’t capitalize. And then we finally just got there.”

As expected, Leavitt pushed for the equalizer throughout the second half, to no avail.

The Hornets, who were eliminated by Greely in the Class B semifinals last year, created several chances and the result was in doubt until the final moments.

In fact, only a friendly post behind Greely goalkeeper Emma Seymour kept the game from going to overtime after Casey Fichter got loose and sent a dangerous chance to the goal.

“When a team is down like that, they get really fired up because their season is on the line,” said Seymour. “They were giving it their all. Towards the end of the game they were pushing a lot more than we were, but I’m glad that we still kept with it.

“To be honest, whenever we score first or whenever we’re up a goal, I always get even more nervous because I know the other team is going to get really physical and try their hardest to score to keep the game going. So it was more nerve-racking when we were up than when it was tied.”

Seymour continued what has been a solid season, especially on her home field, where she hasn’t surrendered a goal.

Seymour, a senior in her first year as a field hockey goalkeeper, didn’t see much action in the opening half but stood tall in the second, with three or four good saves under fairly constant pressure.

“I think Emma (Seymour) was the hero of the game,” said Maine. “They would have won if we didn’t have her. Our defense is great but she’s something else.”

Greely carried the play in the opening half but was unable to score.

One of its best chances came with four minute remaining in the half when Jessica Wilson moved into scoring position. She was stopped by an aggressive play from Eells, who then charged out to kick the ball away from Helena McMonagle to keep the game scoreless.

The Hornets’ best chance in the opening half came after 20 minutes.

Fichter sent a cross to the front and Briana DeGone was there for a redirection that was turned aside by Seymour.