YARMOUTH

Town councilor stepping down with year left in term

Town Councilor Timothy Sanders has decided to leave his post in June, after completing two years of a three-year term. Sanders submitted his resignation last week, citing personal reasons.

The council accepted his resignation and ordered that nominations be sought from townspeople interested in running for Sanders’ seat and serving the last year of his term.

Two other council seats will be up for election June 12. Erv Bickford is finishing his second term and cannot seek re-election because of term limits, and Carl Winslow is facing re-election after three years. Nomination papers will be available March 19.

SACO

Police seeking witnesses to Main Street assault

Police are seeking the public’s help in its investigation into a confrontation and assault that took place Tuesday morning.

An 18-year-old Biddeford woman reported around 10:15 a.m. that she was walking northbound on Main Street, near the intersection of Fairfield Street, when a red, boxy vehicle headed north veered across the two southbound lanes and came to a stop, facing north in the southbound travel lane.

An unknown man got out of the vehicle and assaulted her, according to police. The man was described as white, bald, in his 20s or 30s, stocky and 6 feet tall. He was wearing a T-shirt with a plaid design. The vehicle was last seen turning onto King Street.

Police ask that anyone in the area who observed the victim, the vehicle or the confrontation to contact the Criminal Investigation Division at 282-8216.

BRUNSWICK

Field fire near high school extinguished by firefighters

Firefighters put out a field fire near Brunswick High School on Tuesday afternoon.

The fire off Scarponi Drive was put out shortly before 4 p.m. The fire, reported shortly after 3 p.m., did not reach nearby woods in the area, according to the public safety dispatch center.

Three mutual-aid communities were at the scene.

No injuries were reported.

SOUTH PORTLAND

Police investigate robbery of restaurant near mall

South Portland police are investigating the robbery of a restaurant near the Maine Mall.

Authorities say one robber held an employee at the rear of the On The Border restaurant around 10:45 p.m. Monday while a second robber entered the building and ordered the manager to turn over money.

Both suspects fled the scene with an undetermined amount of cash.

One employee suffered minor injuries.

The suspects were described as white men in their 20s, both about 6-foot-1, and dressed entirely in black, with what appeared to be ski masks over their faces.

There have been no arrests.

AUGUSTA

House backs bill to remove egg workers’ union rights

Maine’s House of Representatives has passed a bill that eliminates the right of workers at the former DeCoster egg farms to unionize.

The bill passed 73-69 along party lines Tuesday, with Republicans in support and Democrats opposed. It still faces more votes in the House and Senate.

The bill would eliminate collective bargaining rights for workers at the farms formerly operated by DeCoster Egg Farms. A division of Minnesota-based Land O’Lakes Inc. has taken over the farms under a lease-purchase agreement.

Rep. Dale Crafts, R-Lisbon, said no other farmworkers in Maine or in the U.S. other than one county in California have the right to unionize.

Democrats argued that the former DeCoster farms have a history of workplace violations in Maine and that the bill guts workers’ rights.

 

Senate chief’s wife in hospital after having heart problems

Senate President Kevin Raye’s wife, Karen, remained hospitalized Tuesday after experiencing heart problems, his office announced.

A statement released by Raye, who was absent from the Senate on Tuesday, indicates that he is hopeful she will be released from the hospital in the next few days.

“Karen is doing well and resting comfortably,” he said in a statement. “We are grateful for the excellent care provided by both Calais Regional Hospital and Eastern Maine Medical Center, and for the many prayers, well wishes, emails, calls and notes of encouragement we have received since she was hospitalized Sunday morning.”

 

Drugstore robbery second in city in less than a week

Authorities say two men claiming to be armed made off with prescription painkillers after robbing an Augusta pharmacy.

It was the second robbery at a city pharmacy in less than week.

Augusta Police Lt. Christopher Massey said in a release that the men entered the Rite Aid pharmacy at 2007 North Belfast Avenue around 7:30 p.m., Monday and passed a note to a pharmacy employee.

“The note made reference that the males had a weapon and would cause the employee harm if they did not cooperate,” Massey said. “The note also demanded prescription medication.” 

The robbers were given an undetermined amount of the demanded drug and fled on foot south across the parking lot.

No one was hurt, Massey said.

Both suspects were described as white men with thin builds. One of the robbers was about 5 feet 11 inches tall and wore a black jacket with a hood, a winter cap and dark sunglasses. The second suspect, said to appear young in age, was about 5 feet 8 inches tall and wore jeans and a dark-colored sweatshirt.

State police used dogs to try and track the men, but it is believed they got into a vehicle to leave the area.

The robbery occurred less than a week after two men held up a CVS pharmacy at 2 Stone St., which is a little over a half-mile from the North Belfast Avenue Rite Aid. 

The men reportedly entered the CVS around 6:40 p.m. Feb. 14 and demanded prescription medication. They were reportedly given a large amount of OxyContin and fled on foot. The men indicated they had a gun, but none was shown, according to police.

There have been no arrests in either robbery.

 

PORTSMOUTH, N.H.

Tugboat stranded near former Maine-N.H. bridge

Rescuers came to the aid of a tugboat that wedged against a structural support for the Memorial Bridge near Portsmouth.

Coast Guard Petty Officer Ryan Smith says the tugboat got wedged in the pilings around 2 p.m. Tuesday. Smith said the boat was being towed away, and the two people aboard were not hurt.

The supports are part of what remains of the Memorial Bridge, which connected Portsmouth to Kittery, Maine. The center span was recently removed and more demolition work is planned to replace the 90-year-old bridge. A new bridge is planned for 2013.

HERMON

Man says home invasion left him no choice but to shoot

A 24-year-old man said he was in a fight for his life when he shot two Bangor men who forced their way into his apartment, mortally wounding one of them.

The shooting took place about 9 a.m. Thursday, when a woman and two men he didn’t know burst into his apartment in Hermon, Daniel Williams said.

One man came at him with a knife and cut him on the abdomen, he said. One of the men then hit him over the head with an electric guitar before both of them kicked him and his roommate while they were on the floor.

When he broke free, Williams grabbed his .22-caliber handgun from his bedroom and shot one of the intruders, 19-year-old Philip McIntyre, in the leg, Williams told the Bangor Daily News. He shot the other man, Robert Dellairo, in the hip when Dellairo lunged at him a short time later outside the apartment.

Dellairo, 30, later died of his injuries. McIntyre was treated at a Bangor hospital and was being charged with burglary.

“They attacked me in my home, and I had to protect myself,” Williams said.

Police are continuing to investigate the home invasion and determine a motive.

Williams said he didn’t know Dellairo, McIntyre or the woman who broke into his apartment, but he thinks they were accompanied by a woman who had been a high school classmate of Williams’ and was in a car used to drive the men to the hospital after the shooting.

Williams said the woman is an acquaintance he recently ran into and that she was aware that he works as a contractor and owns an event-organizing business.

He speculated that his apparent business success could have led the woman to believe he had things of value in his apartment worth stealing.

Williams said he acted in self-defense, but he’s had a hard time accepting how the incident ended.

“I’m very banged up about it,” he said. “I’ve shed a lot of tears behind closed doors for Bobby Dellairo and his family.”

BANGOR

Northern Maine man admits role in drug-dealing ring

A northern Maine man has pleaded guilty to a drug-dealing and money-laundering conspiracy.

The U.S. Attorney General’s Office said Paul Corbin, 54, of St. David pleaded guilty Tuesday to conspiring with others to possess with the intent to distribute 100 kilograms or more of marijuana between 2000 and 2001. Prosecutors said he also was convicted of conspiring with others to launder more than $165,000 of the proceeds.

Corbin faces a possible sentence of to 40 years in prison and a maximum fine of $5,000 or both.

 


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.