LEWISTON — An Army soldier found stabbed to death in his Washington apartment last week was a native of Maine who survived an attack in Afghanistan three years ago that took the lives of three comrades.

Authorities in Olympia, Wash., say 29-year-old U.S. Army Pvt. Nathaniel Ollis was found dead Friday of multiple stab wounds.

Two men have been charged in connection with the slaying, although the motive remains under investigation.

Ollis was on active duty at Joint Base Lewis-McChord.

Family members tell the Sun Journal that Ollis grew up in Harrison and had also lived in Mexico, Auburn and Lewiston.

His wife, Callie Ollis of Leeds, says he was weeks away from discharge. The couple has three children.


“He was an artist. He was a musician. He was a father,” she said. “He was beautiful. He had so many friends. He just made friends so easily.”

She says he had struggled since his tour of duty and injuries in Afghanistan.

Ollis survived a 2009 bomb that ripped through his Stryker vehicle in Afghanistan. The Olympian newspaper says three soldiers died in the bombing and Ollis suffered two shattered heels.

Ollis, who enlisted in March 2007, was assigned to a Warrior Transition Battalion for soldiers requiring long-term medical care and was set to be discharged later this month, according to a spokeswoman at the base, which is about 10 miles from Olympia.

On Sunday, Olympia police arrested two 20-year-old men in the homicide after a multi-county chase that ended in a crash on southbound Interstate 5 near Kelso.

At a court hearing Monday, one man was ordered held for investigation of second-degree murder with bail set at $1 million. The other man was ordered held for investigation of rendering criminal assistance.

Detectives are trying to determine a motive for the killing.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.