ARUNDEL — An Arundel baby’s brain injuries were the result of his father picking him up by the head and throwing him into a chair, according to court records.

Ethan Henderson, who was 10 weeks old, died early this morning at Maine Medical Center after being on life support since Saturday morning.

Police have charged the boy’s father, Gordan Collins-Faunce, 23, with elevated aggravated assault. That charge is likely to be changed now that the boy has died.

The case is being reviewed by the Maine Attorney General’s Office. Deputy Attorney General William Stokes has said a decision about new charges will be made following an autopsy.

The boy’s mother, Christina Henderson, 23, was at work Saturday morning when the assault allegedly occurred at the couple’s residence at 521 Limerick Road.

Collins-Faunce told police that he is taking medication for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and that his medication recently changed, according to court records.


Police said that Collins-Faunce was physically and sexually abused as a child by different foster parents. He has been having trouble sleeping and had felt overwhelmed by having to care for Ethan and his twin brother Lucas, he told police. Collins-Faunce also said that he had broken Ethan’s arm when the baby was 4 weeks old because he became frustrated changing the boy’s diaper.

The court papers also say that a 3-year-old who is Christina Henderson’s child from a previous relationship was covered in bruises, according to an employee of the Department of Health and Human Services.

Ethan’s twin brother and the 3-year-old sibling have been taken into custody by the state Department of Health and Human Services.

Collins-Faunce is being held in the York County Jail in lieu of $100,000 bail.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.