Lawyer appointed receiver for Schilling’s video firm

A court-appointed receiver will take over the assets of former Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling’s failed video game company as Rhode Island seeks to recoup some of its investment during 38 Studios’ bankruptcy proceedings.

Gov. Lincoln Chafee announced Thursday that Providence lawyer Richard Land was appointed receiver for 38 Studios.

Land’s legal practice concentrates on corporate law and insolvency and receivership law, and he has served as a court-appointed receiver for a variety of businesses, his professional website says.

Rhode Island lured 38 Studios from Massachusetts in 2010 with a $75 million loan guarantee from the state’s economic development agency. In May, the Providence-based company laid off all its employees. It filed for bankruptcy the next month.

Rhode Island petitioned the state Superior Court for a receiver after the company’s bankruptcy case was moved from Delaware to Rhode Island. A federal judge in Delaware granted permission Wednesday for the move.

Tom Carlotto, an attorney representing the state, said the appointment of a receiver is the first step in a “long, multi-pronged” legal process in which the state will try to salvage as much as possible from the company.


Public health declaration follows outbreak at Exeter

The New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services says a public health incident has been declared in the state in response to the hepatitis C outbreak caused by a former lab worker.

Officials say the declaration will allow the department to seek outside assistance for clinics that will be held to test more people for the disease.

David Kwiatkowski was charged last month with stealing drugs from Exeter Hospital’s cardiac lab and contaminating syringes that were used on patients. So far, 32 people have been infected with the disease.

After initially asking only cardiac lab patients to get tested, the state now recommends that some 3,300 people who underwent surgery or were admitted to the intensive care unit during Kwiatkowski’s employment. Testing clinics start Friday.


Couple lost in the woods facing charges after rescue

Police say a couple who called police to say they were lost in the woods of Andover were high on drugs and are now facing charges.

Police say they got a call about 3:15 a.m. Thursday from a woman who told them that she and her boyfriend were high on LSD and lost in the dense woods along the Shawseen River. They were found two hours later after a search by Andover, Tewksbury and state police.

Brendan Gibson faces charges including possession of heroin with intent to distribute, resisting arrest, assault and trespassing. Amanda Norcia is charged with heroin possession and trespassing.

Police told The Eagle-Tribune that Gibson was under the influence of several drugs, including LSD and heroin, and had to be subdued with pepper spray and a Taser.


Ex-police officer is accused of attempted sexual assault

A former police officer in Rindge, N.H., and high school employee has been accused of trying to sexually assault a girl under the age of 16.

Keene police arrested 35-year-old John Vargas-Cifrino of Harrisville on Thursday. He was charged with attempted felonious sexual assault.

Keene police said they were contacted Monday by Rindge police about an internal investigation of one of their officers for possible criminal acts committed in Keene. After an investigation, Vargas-Cifrino was arrested.

WMUR-TV reported Keene police said Vargas-Cifrino has resigned his police officer position.

He also had worked as a paraprofessional at Conval High School in Peterborough.


Suspect in infant assault ordered held without bail

A New Bedford man accused of causing his 6-week-old son’s severe brain injury has been ordered held without bail for up to 90 days following a dangerousness hearing.

A district court judge Wednesday found 25-year-old Tristan Martel Walker to be a danger to public safety and ordered him held.

Walker was charged with assault and battery on a child with serious injury after police went to his apartment about 5:30 a.m. on July 29 in response to a call that the baby wasn’t breathing.

Police told The Standard-Times the baby remains hospitalized with a life-threatening brain injury.

Walker told police he was bouncing the child up and down against his shoulder in an effort to burp him without supporting the child’s head. His attorney says his client denies guilt.


Cases of whooping cough on increase in Vermont

The Vermont Health Department says cases of whooping cough are increasing in the state.

The state says there have been 201 confirmed cases this year, with 68 of them reported from June 1 through Aug. 8. No deaths have been reported.

Three infants have been hospitalized with confirmed or probable whooping cough, also called pertussis, since June 1.

Whooping cough is highly contagious. The infection usually starts with an irritating cough that worsens to include spasms of coughing, possibly whooping.

The last widespread outbreak of pertussis in Vermont happened in 1996-1997. A total of 280 cases were identified in 1996, including 171 in school-aged children. In 1997, there were 283 cases.


Mother charged after car flips with daughters inside

Police say a Vermont mother has been charged with driving under the influence after the car she was driving with her three daughters inside crashed and was found upside down in a ditch.

Police said the blood-alcohol level for 26-year-old Michelle Medor was nearly four times the legal limit after Wednesday night’s crash in Fairfax.

The vehicle was found in the ditch 50 feet from her home.

Medor was driving with two 4-year-olds and an 8-year-old. All suffered minor injuries.


More people reporting bats trapped inside their homes

The Vermont Department of Health says more people are reporting cases of bats flying through open windows and doors and getting trapped inside homes.

Public Health Veterinarian Robert Johnson said the hot weather, bugs and open doors and windows might explain the sightings.

He said if a bat is found in a room with someone who was sleeping or if a bat is found in the same room with an unattended child, it should be safely collected for rabies testing.

Only four of the 65 bats tested so far this year have been positive for rabies.

— From news service reports