PHILADELPHIA – The city where America was made is gearing up for rapper Jay-Z’s “Made In America” music festival, which officials estimate will attract 100,000 fans to Philadelphia over Labor Day weekend.

Construction of stages and tents began last week at the somewhat unusual venue, a tree-lined boulevard in the heart of downtown. It’s the first show on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway to require paid admission. Rock stalwarts Pearl Jam are co-headliners of the two-day event.

Officials said there should be no problem handling the crowd considering the city’s long tradition of staging much larger concerts at the same location.

“Every year, we have detailed plans for public safety, street access, trash removal and we successfully accommodate 400,000 to 500,000 visitors on the 4th of July,” Mayor Michael Nutter said.

For those who can’t make the festival on either Sept. 1 or 2, don’t worry — filmmaker Ron Howard will be directing a movie about the show.

Overall, city officials expect 50,000 paying fans each day for the bill curated by Jay-Z, whose real name is Shawn Carter. Musicians include Skrillex, Drake, Afrojack, Chris Cornell, Run-DMC and hometown favorite Jill Scott.

Concerts will run from 2-11 p.m. on three stages, one of which will be near the Museum of Art steps made famous in the film “Rocky.”

“Thirty amazing acts are coming together to perform at one of Philadelphia’s most iconic sites,” Geoff Gordon, regional president for concert promoter Live Nation, said Friday.

Gary and Kristin Camp of Wilmington, Del., were enticed by the lineup and bought a pair of two-day passes. Though they have some questions about logistics and transportation, Gary Camp said they’re prepared for a couple of long days and are looking forward to the show — especially Pearl Jam.

“I think it’s going to be an exciting event in a unique setting,” Camp said.

Organizers say the blocks-long site will be enclosed by 8-foot-high double-fencing patrolled by security. Material woven into the chain-link barrier is designed to keep non-paying spectators from seeing the show.

It’s a big change from previous parkway music events, which have been free.

LL Cool J’s intruder has crime record

LOS ANGELES – The man charged with breaking into LL Cool J’s house last week has a lengthy criminal record that includes a manslaughter conviction in Texas, court records show.

Authorities say the actor-rapper subdued Jonathan A. Kirby early Wednesday after finding the man in his Los Angeles home, breaking Kirby’s nose, jaw and ribs in the process.

Kirby, 58, was convicted of voluntary manslaughter in Dallas in 1988.

Records show Kirby was sentenced to six years in prison, but was paroled the next year. By January 1990 he had been arrested on a prostitution-related charge in West Hollywood, and in 1995 was convicted of felony residential burglary.

He is charged with the same offense in the LL Cool J incident and could face 38 years to life in prison if convicted.

Lopez TV series pilot gets approval

LOS ANGELES – ABC Family says it green-lighted a series pilot from Jennifer Lopez’s production company about a lesbian couple and their diverse family.

ABC Family said Thursday the comedy-drama pilot, titled “The Fosters,” is about two women raising a “21st century,” multi-ethnic mix of foster and biological kids.

Lopez will be an executive producer for the hour-long project.

Her company, Nuyorican, is in development on other TV series, including “Taming Ben Taylor,” a romantic comedy starring the actress-singer, and “Sweet Little 15,” a Mexican girl’s coming-of-age story.

– From news service reports