LISBON FALLS — Brady Fenderson’s second goal of the game with three minutes left in overtime lifted the Lisbon High School boys soccer team to a key 2-1 win over Winthrop in Mountain Valley Conference play on Tuesday.

The Greyhounds, 5-7-1, are eighth in the Western Maine Class C Heal Point standings, while the Ramblers (4-8-1) are 10th. The top nine teams advance to the postseason.

“This is a huge win for us, and hopefully it will allow us to host a playoff game,” said Lisbon coach Dan Sylvester, whose Greyhounds face St. Dom’s on Friday at 3:30 p.m.

Trailing 1-0 when Winthrop’s Nolen Howe beat Lisbon netminder Nate Bergeron (one save) early in the second half, the Greyhounds tied it when Fenderson was hauled down inside the penalty area and converted the ensuing penalty kick with two minutes remaining in regulation.

In overtime, Fenderson received a pass from Kyle Whitman, sending a low shot past the dive of Ramblers goaltender Matt Sekerak (seven saves).

“Winthrop and (No. 9) Monmouth play on Friday, so that may determine if we are home for the playoffs or on the road,” added Sylvester.


Bailey McKenna had two goals to lift 7-2-2 York to a Western Maine Conference win at Freeport.

Brian Mendoza chipped in a goal for the Wildcats, while Adam Legg had four saves for the shutout.

Freeport, which dropped to 2-8-2 and visits Fryeburg Academy on Thursday, received six saves from netminder Brendan Qualls.


Randy Moody tallied two second-half goals to lift the visiting Bobcats to a non-conference victory over Class C Sacopee Valley (1-9-2) at Hiram.

Richmond finished the regular season 14-0 and will await a Western Maine Class D semifinal opponent in two weeks.

“We have a couple scrimmages lined up, playing at North Yarmouth Academy and Kents Hill to keep us fresh,” said Richmond coach Joe Scribellito.

Tied 1-1 at the half, Moody scored six minutes into the second stanza off an assist from Nate Tribbett. The duo hooked up again 15 minutes later, with Moody finishing off a corner kick.

The Bobcats jumped on top eight minutes into the game when Eddie Stewart converted a corner kick feed from Xavier Trask. The Hawks tied it on a Trey Watson goal.

“We were a little bit lethargic in the first half, probably because of the two hour bus ride and the big win against Waynflete (8-2) on Saturday,” said Scribellito.

Sacopee Valley owned a 16- 14 shots advantage, with Richmond netminder Dustin Sullivan turning aside 14 shots. Hawks goaltender Michael Pingree had 11 saves.


Zach Ellison tallied a pair of goals as the host Wolverines returned to action after a one-week break with a MVC victory over the 2-11-1 Raiders.

JD Souza staked Wiscasset (7-5-1 and scheduled to visit Hall-Dale on Friday) to a 1-0 lead off an assist from Dale Peaslee. Tied 1-1, Ellison’s first goal gave the Wolverines a 2-1 halftime lead.

In the second half, Bryson Grover scored an unassisted goal, and Ellison converted a pass from Andrew Corson to complete the scoring.

Wiscasset netminder Nate Mills had four saves, while Oak Hill keeper Kyle Fields turned away nine shots.