FALMOUTH — Good news for Scarborough’s opponents in girls’ hockey this winter: So far, it looks like it’s taking about a period for the Red Storm to get warmed up.

Problem is, once they get heated up, they’re awfully hard to stop.

Sarah Martens scored three goals and added an assist, and Alyssa Hulst, Rachael Wallace and Riley McKeown each had a goal and an assist as Scarborough overcame a scoreless first period to roll past Falmouth 7-0 on Monday night at Family Ice Center.

“Our girls like to see what the other team is like, then they’re like, ‘OK, now we’re ready to play,”‘ said Scarborough Coach Caitlin Cashman. “Our confidence is a little low in the first period and then we have to build it up. We settled down and our passing turned around, our shooting turned around.”

Scarborough (3-0) held momentum from the beginning, though Falmouth (2-2), the defending Western champion, held strong. Yachtsmen defenders Alyse Bazinet and Alta Farrell did well to keep Scarborough’s shots from reaching goalie Hillary Nash (16 saves).

Nash was pressed into service this season as regular starter Kirsten Mazur recovers from an offseason leg injury. Mazur is expected to return in the next two weeks.

“I was very encouraged by our overall effort in that first period,” said Falmouth Coach Rob Carrier. “Scarborough is relentless on the forecheck. They don’t tire, they just keep coming at you in waves. Any loose puck, they’re on it.”

The Red Storm broke through on the power play at 5:03 of the second period. Martens buried a pass from Wallace to take a 1-0 lead. Hulst made it 2-0 about 1:12 later, carrying the puck out from behind the cage and slipping a backhanded shot between the goalie’s pads.

“It’s hard for us to get going; once we got going, passing together (we could) break it out of the zone a lot better,” Martens said. “Once that started happening, the goals started coming.”

Martens’ blast from just over the blue line caught the top right corner at 10:36 for a 3-0 lead. Wallace made it 4-0 with three minutes left in the period when she knocked in the rebound of Kristen Murray’s shot. McKeown also assisted.

Just 40 seconds into the third, Martens picked up a loose puck on the blue line, broke in and slipped the puck past Nash to make it 5-0. With Falmouth shorthanded because of an interference call, Kent drove a low, hard shot in from the right point for a power-play goal at 6:28.

It seemed fitting for Kent to score, as she had been generating so much of the Red Storm’s offense for much of the night, by keeping the puck in the offensive zone or wristing in long shots.

“My coaches have been telling me to just shoot it low and on net to create tip-ins and rebounds,” Kent said. “Sometimes I get lucky and one goes in.”

McKeown closed the scoring with another long-range shot with three minutes to play. Jenna Block and Martens assisted.

“Falmouth has always been a strong team, so this game just another confidence builder,” Cashman said. “Our girls are learning that you have to respect every team, but you have to play your own game.”