ORONO — Maine fire officials say a fire that killed two brothers in Orono started in a damaged chimney.

State Fire Marshal Joseph Thomas told the Bangor Daily News that the early morning fire on Sunday started in an unlined chimney, where debris had accumulated in gaps left by missing bricks and crumbling mortar.

The victims have been identified as 47-year-old Randy Davis, the home owner, and his brother 49-year-old Cris “Cricket” Davis.

The home did not have working smoke detectors.

Investigators say the brothers had been out drinking Saturday night and took a taxi home.