SCARBOROUGH – Scarborough was beating Bonny Eagle at its own game — 3-point shooting — through three quarters Friday night, then cooled just enough to open the door for the Scots.

Bonny Eagle rallied from a nine-point deficit in the fourth quarter, then beat the Red Storm 59-58 in overtime in an SMAA boys’ basketball game.

Scarborough (10-6), ranked sixth in Western Class A, made 10 3-pointers through three quarters to three for Bonny Eagle (13-3), ranked fifth.

The Red Storm led from late in the second quarter, except for an 18-18 tie, until 2:32 remained in regulation.

The Scots, normally on target from beyond the arc, were cold until two clutch 3-pointers, one late in regulation and another in overtime, tied the game both times.

C.J. Autry’s 3-pointer made it 51-51 with 2:32 to go in the fourth quarter. Nick Dubay hit a 3-pointer to make it 58-58 after Sam Terry of Scarborough opened overtime with a three-point play.

The teams then went cold at the foul line, although Dustin Cole, who scored a game-high 26 points for Bonny Eagle, hit one to break the tie with 1:58 left.

Brendan Hall of Scarborough then missed from the line with 1:44 left and Bonny Eagle ran off 1:10 before Cole was fouled again. Normally dead on from the line, Cole missed and Scarborough rebounded.

The Red Storm called a timeout with 18 seconds left. When play resumed, Hall penetrated and missed a jumper with seven seconds remaining, then fouled.

Autry missed the free throw and the Red Storm raced down the floor, but Hall missed a shot to win it.

The Scots outscored Scarborough 15-9 in the fourth quarter and 6-5 in overtime.

“Scarborough came out on fire,” said Cole. “They didn’t miss many. You just have to go with the flow of the game when that happens. Eventually they’ll start missing.”

Sensing the game slipping away when the Red Storm stayed hot in the third quarter, Bonny Eagle turned up the heat on defense.

“We picked up our intensity in the fourth quarter and started hitting our shots,” said Cole. “We need to win out to get to third place in the standings.”

Bonny Eagle Coach Phil Bourassa said his team snuck out a win. He said it was nearly the same deficit his team rallied from in the fourth quarter to beat Deering by a point earlier in the season.

“We really played well for four minutes in the fourth quarter, which got us the lead,” he said. “We won it by boxing out underneath. We were limiting Scarborough to one shot on their last possessions. Scarborough has some athletes. They were making plays and they almost got us.”

Bonny Eagle remembered a double- overtime loss to South Portland on Jan. 21.

“We just knew we couldn’t lose this one,” said Cole.

Trailing 49-40 with more than six minutes remaining in regulation, the Scots got baskets from Ben Malloy and Cole. Kevin Manning, whose fourth 3-pointer of the game made it 49-40, hit two from the line after the Bonny Eagle baskets to make it 51-44.

The Scots went on a 9-0 run to take a 53-51 lead. Autry scored on a layup, Cole floated home a baseline jumper, Autry’s 3 tied it and Cole scored on a layup after a steal at midcourt to give Bonny Eagle its first lead since midway in the second.

With the score 53-53 late in regulation, each team had chances to win it. Malloy missed a 3-pointer and Terry missed a jumper.

Scarborough scored first in overtime but Bonny Eagle stayed composed and pulled it out.

Autry finished with 17 points for the Scots. Manning led Scarborough with 16 points, Terry added 15 and Dillon Russo had 10.

The Red Storm were 11 of 23 from beyond the arc. Bonny Eagle finished 5 of 22.

Staff Writer Tom Chard can be contacted at 791-6419 or at:

[email protected]

Twitter: TomChardPPH