FALMOUTH – For the second time this season, Ian Edgecomb scored in overtime to lift Yarmouth over Falmouth in schoolboy lacrosse.

On April 23, Edgecomb scored 22 seconds into overtime to give the Clippers a 10-9 victory at home.

Friday night, he scored his third goal of the game 10 seconds into overtime as Yarmouth swept the season series with the two-time Class B champs, 15-14.

“This was a whole team effort,” Yarmouth Coach David Pearl said. “Ian did finish but I’ve got to tell you, it takes 17 guys to finish and the heart on this team is unbelievable. We were down many times and they dug back.”

The Clippers (9-2) overcame an eight-goal effort by Charlie Fay.

“It’s the inner strength of our team and our coaching,” Edgecomb said. “Over the past few years, once we’ve gotten down we’ve given up, but this year we’ve been able to really have something we can rally around. We’re a family. We’re still pumped to keep going no matter what.”

Falmouth (7-4) held a four-goal lead with less than three minutes left in the third quarter but couldn’t find a way to put Yarmouth away.

“On several occasions we had the ability to put the game away and we folded,” Falmouth Coach Mike LeBel said. “I don’t how to explain it but we don’t have what it takes yet to put a team away when we’re up.”

Edgecomb scored his first two goals in a 28-second span to make it 14-14 with 1:59 left in regulation.

The Yachtsmen led 7-6 at the end of a seesaw first half, which saw the score tied or the lead change hands nine time.

With Fay scoring three of his game-high eight goals, Falmouth led 11-7 after eight minutes of the second half.

“Offensively we did a very nice job,” LeBel said. “Any time you score 14 goals you should be able to win a game. We just had defensive letdown after defensive letdown. The offensive guys did their jobs. The defensive guys let us down.”

The rain stopped with eight minutes left in the half and the score 3-3, but the slippery, wet conditions seemed to favor both offenses.

“They had to deal with the conditions, too, and they dealt with it better than us,” LeBel said.

“They were able to adjust and deal with that, and deal with the pressure better than we were.”

Christian Henry led Yarmouth with four goals. Joseph Oliva, Quinn Hathcock and Brendan Dioli each scored twice. Brady Neujahr had a goal and two assists, and Nicholas Ronan also scored.

For Falmouth, IV Stucker had three goals and two assists. Joe Dancoes scored two goals and Chris Samaras added one.

Falmouth outscored Yarmouth 31-7 in their previous two meetings heading into this year.

“We redeemed ourselves,” Edgecomb said. “We’ve gotten smoked by them for the past few years because (Falmouth) is a good program. This year, after so many times getting beat down, we really wanted to come back and show them that we can play.”

Paul Betit can be contacted at 791-6424 or at:

[email protected]

Twitter: PaulBetitPPH


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.