A burning cigar or cigar ashes were the cause of a fire in Windham early Sunday morning that killed a 25-year-old man, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office.

Parker Blanchard died after a fire started just after 3:30 a.m. Sunday on a futon in the living room of his third-floor apartment at 13 Main St., in Windham. The fire was ruled accidental.

Blanchard was found unresponsive on the floor of his apartment.

Blanchard’s girlfriend, 25-year-old Annette Kowalik, escaped but was treated for smoke inhalation at Maine Medical Center in Portland.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.