Police apprehend man after his attempt to flee

A man police describe as having violent tendencies and who was wanted in New Hampshire for violating his parole was apprehended in Cornish on Saturday afternoon.

Chief Deputy William L. King Jr. said that deputies from the York County Sheriff’s Office responded around 4:45 p.m. to the report of a man and woman engaged in a heated argument in the vicinity of 133 Cumberland St. in Cornish. The witness, who notified police, said the argument was beginning to escalate.

When the deputies arrived they encountered a man who initially provided them a false name and allegedly said, “See you later,” before fleeing on foot in the direction of the Saco River.

Nicholas Davis, 34, who has no fixed address, ran about 50 yards before the deputies were able to subdue him. He was arrested on a parole violation for receiving stolen property from New Hampshire and for refusal to submit to arrest.

He is being held at the York County Jail without bail pending his extradition to New Hampshire.


Last Mass at St. Louis Church scheduled for Thursday

A final Mass has been scheduled for a landmark Catholic church that is slated to be sold or demolished.

The 98-year-old St. Louis Church in Auburn needs an estimated $1 million or more in repairs, far more than the parish can afford. Bishop Richard Malone has given approval for the church to be torn down if it can’t be sold in a timely fashion, but a final decision has yet to be made whether to sell or raze the building.

When the final services are held at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, it will mark the end of an era for many families. The two-spired church was a focal point of the community, serving the mostly French-Canadian population in the New Auburn neighborhood.

An analysis last fall found severe structural problems in the church. There haven’t been any services since April, when the church closed after a crack appeared near the front doors. Auburn Mayor Jonathan LaBonte said he hopes the church can be saved for other uses, much the way St. Mary’s in Lewiston was when it was restored and turned into the Franco-American Heritage Center after closing in 2000.


Seven game wardens graduate from training

The Maine Warden Service is welcoming seven new game wardens into its ranks. The new wardens graduated Friday from a 30-week training program that included 18 weeks of basic law enforcement training attended by all law enforcement officers, including troopers, police and deputies. This was followed by a 12-week advance warden academy.

The graduation was held at the Maine Criminal Justice Academy in Vassalboro.

— From staff and news services

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.