FALMOUTH – Falmouth and Cape Elizabeth played to a 0-0 tie on Wednesday night in a Western Main Conference boys’ soccer game.

It wasn’t for lack of chances.

Falmouth forward Luke Velas generated a half-dozen scoring opportunities, but he and the Yachtsmen (2-0-1) couldn’t score.

“We had a lot of chances, but we just couldn’t finish,” Velas said. “We always do a finishing drill in our practices, but tonight we couldn’t put one away.”

Velas had his first chance in the 11th minute. He dribbled into the box on a near breakaway and fired a shot that was turned aside by goalie Austin Andrews (four saves).

Following a Cape Elizabeth corner in the 35th minute, Velas received an outlet pass at midfield. The junior ran toe-to-toe with the only Caper defenseman in sight and uncorked a hard shot, but Andrews made a diving save.

“He’s one of our key players,” Falmouth Coach Dave Halligan said of Velas. “He comes with a lot of energy. He had some good opportunities, and they did a good job defensively on him.

“It was your typical defensive battle in the Western Maine Conference. Either team could’ve won the game with a break.”

After playing a competitive first half, Cape Elizabeth (1-0-2) struggled to get the ball out of its zone for long stretches in the second.

In the 45th minute, Falmouth junior Ben Lydick saw Velas streaking into the box undefended and lobbed a long pass, but Velas was unable to control the cross and shot the ball wide left.

Velas passed to sophomore midfielder Jesse Melchiskey deep in the box in the 57th minute, but Andrews came out of the net and booted the ball out of the zone.

“(Andrews) brings a lot of confidence to that position,” Cape Elizabeth Coach Ben Raymond said. “He had a lot of experience last year. I think his defenders listen to him quite a bit. … And he takes command in the box. You saw him tonight come out and get a lot of balls that a lot of goalies don’t come and get.”

The Capers had a three-on-two fast break in the 70th minute but shot the ball above the crossbar. One minute later, Velas gathered the ball off a Cape Elizabeth header at the other end of the field and shot wide.

Neither team managed a shot on goal during the overtime periods.

Falmouth goalie Will D’Agostino finished with four saves.

Cape Elizabeth has been shut out twice this year. Raymond said it was too early to be concerned about the team’s offense.

“It’s still our third game. … I thought Eli (Breed) had a number of good opportunities in the box. He could’ve shot a couple times. I think (Noah Haversat) has got to be more — selfish isn’t the right word, but he’s got to take charge and shoot the ball when he gets opportunities. I guess I worry a little bit, as anybody does, but it’s better than giving up goals.”

The Capers have not allowed a goal this season.

The teams will meet again at Cape Elizabeth on Oct. 2.

“It’s not going to be high scoring,” Halligan said. “It’s going to be a close game. It’s going to be a 1-0 game, a 2-1 game, 0-0 like tonight. Anything can happen, so you’ve got to be ready.”


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.