Motorcycle-car crash closes road for two hours

River Road in Windham had to be shut down for nearly two hours Tuesday afternoon while police investigated a crash involving a motorcycle and a car.

Sgt. Jim Boudreau of the Windham Police Department in a press release said that 62-year-old Michael Taylor of Poland suffered “serious head injuries” after his motorcycle collided with the rear-end of a car that had been stopped by a flagger, who was directing traffic through a construction site.

Taylor, who was not wearing a helmet, was thrown from his bike. He was transported by ambulance to Maine Medical Center in Portland. His condition was unavailable Tuesday night.

The driver of the car, 64-year-old Elaine Clark of Limerick, was not injured.

The accident, which was reported at 3:40 p.m., took place near the Westbrook town line.


City Council votes unanimously to loosen rules on food trucks

The City Council voted 8-0 Monday night to loosen restrictions on food trucks.

A growing number of mobile restaurants have been serving up hamburgers, tacos, lobster rolls and other fare in the city’s downtown for the past year, part of a national urban food trend.

Now they will face lower city fees and looser parking limits, and they will be able to cluster together for the first time. The clustering provision will allow a group of trucks to set up in a central location or at a festival, something that’s common in other cities.

The changes were widely supported, including by traditional restaurant operators who said the trucks help feed the city’s reputation for diverse food choices.

Under the original rules, for example, food truck operators had to pay $30 for a building permit and $75 for an occupancy permit for operating on private property. The overall fee is now $30 per site.


Police arrest four people, seize $30,000 in heroin and cocaine

Three Brooklyn, N.Y., men and a Portland woman are in custody on drug charges following a six-month investigation by the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency that led to the seizure of $30,000 in heroin and cocaine.

Residents in the building at 638 Congress St. and others nearby had reported an unusual number of people entering and leaving an apartment. The apartment was rented by Denise Parham, 54.

Police said the apartment was being watched and that on Monday they saw a drug sale between Parham and two other people. Based on that, and the preceding investigation, Portland police and MDEA agents executed a search warrant at the apartment.

They seized 72 grams of suspected crack cocaine, 125 grams of suspected heroin and almost $2,800, police said.

Police charged Parham, Gabriel “Deacon” Williams, 28, Robert Combs, 20, and Michael Fleury, 23, with drug trafficking. All are being held on $50,000 bail at Cumberland County Jail pending a court appearance. Williams also was charged with violating bail conditions because he had been arrested earlier on drug charges as part of the same investigation.


One arrested, 2 taken to hospital during concert at State Theatre

One person had to be arrested and two people transported to Maine Medical Center during a concert at the State Theatre Tuesday night.

Lt. Gary Hutcheson said Portland police were called to the State Theatre multiple times during a performance by Flux Pavilion, who is also known as Joshua Steele. Steele is known for his brand of dubstep, or high-energy dance music.

Hutcheson said officers encountered four concert-goers who had ingested “an unknown substance.” Two of those individuals, who were unconscious, had to be taken to the hospital.

In a separate call, police arrested a man in his 20s, who was under the influence of an unknown substance. Hutcheson said the man was charged with disorderly conduct.


Police get two reports of males in vehicles approaching children

Police received two reports this week of young children being approached on Columbia Avenue within the past month by males in motor vehicles.

A 9-year-old boy told Brunswick police Friday that Sept. 12, two teenage boys in a silver Dodge Charger yelled at him to get in their car. He said he ran away.

On Monday, the mother of an 8-year-old girl said two men in their 30s or 40s in a silver pickup truck offered her daughter candy on Saturday to help them look for their dog, but she refused.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.