Former Islesboro coach charged with sexual assault

A former Islesboro basketball coach was arrested Thursday night on 16 counts of gross sexual assault.

Travis Tatro, 30, was arrested at his home at 21 Jacobs Ave. in Camden without incident, Maine State Police said in a news release. Tatro was a coach for the island’s school system for nearly two years before he was dismissed in August.

Tatro moved to Camden and continues to coach basketball privately in Knox County, state police said.

In addition to the sexual assault charges, Tatro was indicted on one count of unlawful sexual contact and sexual exploitation of a minor, state police said. The two victims in the case are teenage girls.

State police said they began investigating allegations against Tatro earlier this month. He was indicted Thursday by a Waldo County grand jury and was scheduled to make his first court appearance Friday in Belfast. He was held in lieu of $10,000 bail.


Council will vote on plan for buffer zone at clinics

The City Council is scheduled to take a final vote Monday on a proposal to establish a 39-foot buffer zone around reproductive-health facilities. The proposal is a response to regular anti-abortion protests outside Planned Parenthood’s clinic on Congress Street.

The buffer zone was endorsed by the council’s Public Safety, Health and Human Services Committee. If approved, it will take effect Dec. 18.

Monday’s council meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. at City Hall.


Maine fugitive in custody after story produced tips

Authorities have arrested a man in New Hampshire who was wanted in Maine on violations stemming from his conviction for being a felon in possession of a firearm.

A warrant was out for Nicholas Edmond, 27, who had addresses in Maine and New Hampshire. He was arrested Friday morning in Somersworth, N.H., by members of the U.S. Marshals Service and the Maine Violent Offender Task Force.

A “Fugitive of the Week” broadcast and story on Edmond were featured Thursday in local media and produced numerous tips.


Man who ran meth lab gets eight years in prison

A man who was arrested after investigators found the remnants of a methamphetamine lab in the charred rubble of his mobile home in Kingfield has been sent to prison for eight years.

David Coffren was sentenced Thursday after pleading guilty in June to charges including aggravated trafficking, aggravated criminal mischief and endangering the welfare of a child. Coffren, 29, was charged with child endangerment because his young child was in the home at the time.

The Sun Journal reported that sentencing was postponed until Coffren completed a substance abuse counseling program.

Investigators say they believe that residents of the home were using the risky “one pot” method to make the drug, and that sparked the blaze in February 2012.


Smith & Wesson will cut 37 jobs at handgun plant

Smith & Wesson says it will eliminate 37 jobs over time from its Houlton plant as it shifts the location’s focus to polymer-frame handguns.

The Massachusetts-based company said Friday that the company will increase precision machining capacity for handguns using polymers instead of all-metal parts in Houlton, while moving several other manufacturing processes to Springfield, Mass.

The Houlton plant now employs about 150 people.

Spokeswoman Liz Sharp said the company has worked to minimize the impact on the workforce and will offer training and other assistance during the transition.


Dresden man arrested for pharmacy’s robberies

Police have arrested a Dresden man who they say robbed the same pharmacy in Augusta twice in three days.

Ryan McLaughlin was arrested initially by FBI agents on Thursday on unrelated warrants, but later was hit with federal robbery charges in connection with robberies Monday and Wednesday at the Osco pharmacy in the Shaw’s supermarket on Western Avenue.

Deputy Police Chief Jared Mills said McLaughlin, 26, was being held in the Cumberland County Jail in Portland.