A fire that broke out Tuesday night at the Green Acre Bahai School Retreat & Conference Center caused extensive smoke damage but little structural damage to the school’s campus on Main Street.

Fire Chief Jay Muzeroll said the fire started around 7:15 p.m. in a cafeteria of the former Sara Farmer Inn, a section of the complex where construction crews have been doing renovation.

Muzeroll said the building’s sprinkler system was activated and prevented the fire from spreading from a trash disposal area in the cafeteria. He said improper disposal of painting materials probably started the fire.

Smoke from the fire caused more than $50,000 in damage, Muzeroll said. No injuries were reported.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.