A photo album on Facebook created in memory of Robert J. Hoye tells the story of a man who deeply loved his family and lived life to its fullest.

In nearly every picture, Mr. Hoye is flanked by his wife or one of his children and is beaming with pride. The pictures show him at holidays, family gatherings and celebrations, usually engaged in a conversation or activity.

“His family was the most important thing in his life,” said Kevin Hoye of Portland, the oldest of his five children. “He was a family guy. He was always there. He was never not there.”

Mr. Hoye, formerly of Cumberland Center, died Dec. 26 after a period of declining health. He was 84.

He worked in the lumber industry for more than 30 years. He began his career as a salesman at U.S. Plywood, and rose through the ranks to operations manager.

After 15 years with the company, Mr. Hoye was laid off. Then, in his early 50s, he took a sales job with Georgia-Pacific, a lumber wholesaler.


Mr. Hoye sold lumber and other hardware goods to retailers such as Hammond Lumber and Hancock Lumber for many years. His daughter, Joanna Connor, of Easthampton, Mass., said he worked hard and was well respected in the industry.

“He was very accommodating with his customers and went the extra mile to get them their products,” she said.

Mr. Hoye left the industry in 1974 and bought Harding’s Grocery in Cumberland Center. He sold the store after four years and returned to work at Champion International in Portland to run its lumber operation.

At home, he was a loving husband to Frances Hoye, his wife for 59 years. The couple would have celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary on Jan. 16. His children said the couple had a good life.

“He adored my mother,” his son said. “There was never any question.”

Connor, who was adopted when she was 9, reminisced about their family outings to Sebago Lake and Brandy Pond.


“We didn’t go on tons of vacations, but he made sure everyone had what they needed. He was here for us,” his daughter said.

Mr. Hoye was a longtime member of Sacred Heart Church in Yarmouth. He had passions for fishing, boating and woodworking.

The Hoyes moved to Naples, Fla., about 15 years ago and returned to Maine for many summers and family gatherings.

In recent months, Mr. Hoye’s health began to fail. Just before Christmas, his son flew there to visit him.

“He was stunned when I showed up. I think I almost gave him a heart attack,” his son said, laughing. “In my heart, I knew he was dying and that I might not have an opportunity to see him again. We just sat together. I was very lucky I was able to make it. Nothing happens by mistake.”

Mr. Hoye’s full obituary was published in Sunday’s newspaper. A funeral Mass will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Sacred Heart Church on Main Street in Yarmouth.

Melanie Creamer can be contacted at 791-6361 or at:


Comments are no longer available on this story