A family of five was displaced Wednesday morning by a fire at 17 Griffin Road in Freeport.

The fire started at about 4:35 a.m. in a basement bedroom where a 14-year-old girl was sleeping. She and two other children and two adults made it out safely after they were woken by smoke, Freeport fire officials said.

A family cat died in the fire.

The fire was brought under control by 5:15 a.m with help from Yarmouth, Pownal, Durham and Brunswick fire departments.

The fire started near a space heater but it’s not clear whether it malfunctioned or if it was too close to combustible materials, according to Freeport Fire Chief Darrel Fournier, who said the fire caused about $125,000 in damage to the ranch-style home and its contents.

The Red Cross is helping the family find accommodations.

One firefighter was treated at a hospital for what appeared to be a medical-related issue and released.

Comments are no longer available on this story