FREEPORT — Structure fires broke out on Sunday and Monday in neighboring mobile homes on Ware Road, causing damage estimated at over $200,000.

Both fires were caused by food left on a hot stove, and both were accidental, said Freeport Fire Chief Darrel Fournier, who called the incidents “a terrible coincidence.”

A fire was reported on Sunday around 1:30 p.m. at 5 Ware Road, the home of Lester Scott Jr. Firefighters arrived on the scene 10 minutes later and took about 35 minutes to control the blaze. Damages to property and contents were estimated at $100,000. Scott, who lived with his grown son, has no insurance, Fournier said.

The following day, a fire broke out around 6:30 a.m. at 3 Ware Road. Firefighters had controlled the fire by 7:15 a.m. Two dogs and a cat died from smoke inhalation, Fournier said. Damages were estimated at $110,000. The Argraves, a family of four that was leasing the property, have no renter’s insurance, Fournier said.

The Freeport Fire Department was assisted by firefighters from Brunswick, Durham and Lisbon in both incidents.

Neighbors will host a bean supper to benefit the victims on Saturday, Feb. 1, from 4-8 p.m. at the Freeport Masonic Lodge, located at 33 Mallett Drive. Dinner will cost $7, and additional donations are appreciated. For more information, visit

To make a donation to the Scott and Argraves families, visit any branch of the Atlantic Federal Credit Union, or go to

Two other Freeport families have lost their homes to fires over the past month.

Anna Darby, Eyidi Ambila and their four children lost their house on Griffin Road in a fire on Jan. 15. To make a donation to the family, visit the Freeport branch of Norway Savings Bank or go to

Richard and Diane Peacock lost their house on Starboard Lane in a fire on Dec. 24. To make a donation to the family, visit the Freeport Atlantic Federal Credit Union, or go to

Brendan Twist can be reached at 781-3661 ext. 123 or [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter: @brendantwist.

Sidebar Elements

Firefighters work to extinguish the flames engulfing a double-wide mobile home at 3 Ware Road, Freeport, on Jan. 20.

Firefighters enter a mobile home ablaze at 5 Ware Road, Freeport, on Jan. 19.

Facebook comments

filed under: