A Westbrook garage was destroyed by fire Saturday afternoon.

The fire was reported shortly after 4 p.m. at 1127 Bridgton Road. It started when residents were working on a snowmobile inside the garage, said Capt. Jerry Provencher of the Westbrook Fire Department.

Provencher said he isn’t sure exactly what sparked the fire, but he believes some gasoline spilled and was ignited when the residents attempted to start the snowmobile.

He said the fire was confined to the 30-by-20-foot detached garage, but the heat damaged the siding of the adjacent home.

It took firefighters about 90 minutes to put the fire out.

No one was hurt, Provencher said.

The value of the lost structure, along with tools and the snowmobile inside the garage, was estimated at $50,000, he said.

Edward D. Murphy can be contacted at 791-6465 or at:

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.