A large farmhouse in Gray burned Monday after fire broke out in a laundry room, but all seven residents and three pets escaped uninjured.

Firefighters were called to 16 Weymouth Road at 8 a.m. and found smoke and flames coming out of the front of the buidling, said Fire Chief Galen Morrison.

The two adults and five children who were living there were alerted to the fire by smoke detectors, he said. Family members briefly tried to put the fire out with an extinguisher but were forced to flee.

Fire officials believe the fire started because combustibles were left too close to an electric heater, Morrison said.

The old, two-and-a-half-story building burned quickly and was left gutted, Morrison said. It also destroyed an attached outbuilding. Crews from other towns came to help fight the fire and it was brought under control by 11:30 a.m.

“One firefighter was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation,” Morrison said. She was then taken to a hospital for evaluation.

The children were home because of a two-hour delay in the start of school because of the snow that fell the previous night, he said.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.