SACO — Firefighters were called to the old central fire station at 12 Thornton Ave. on Thursday morning for what was initially described as a house fire, but turned out to be a worker on the roof.

The building is being renovated into apartments and commercial space, and workers were repairing a section of roof ahead of today’s snowstorm when the clothing of one worker caught fire at about 10 a.m., authorities said.

The worker was using glue and a torch to lay a sheet of rubber roofing when his pants caught fire, said Saco Fire Chief John Duross. Co-workers were able to smother the flames but the man received what appeared to be second- and third-degree burns on his legs, Duross said.

Rescue workers were able to get to the man using the department’s ladder truck then lowered him in a basket using the Biddeford Fire Department’s aerial platform.

He was taken to Maine Medical Center in Portland, which has a burn treatment unit.

An investigator with the state Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating the incident.

David Hench can be contacted at 791-6327 or at:[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.