HOLLIS – A farmhouse that was built in 1820 was destroyed by fire Wednesday night in Hollis.

The fire at 310 Cape Road – also known as Route 117 – was reported around 4:30 p.m. By the time firefighters arrived, they encountered flames shooting out of the four-bedroom residence.

WGME-TV reported that the owners and their 18-year-old daughter, who also lives there, safely escaped, but two firefighters had to be taken to a local hospital for treatment of a foot injury and smoke inhalation. Both firefighters were later released.

The 22-acre farm, which has been for sale, stables horses and operates a produce stand part of the year. The horses were not harmed but several family pets perished, WGME-TV said.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office said the fire started after a wood-pellet stove malfunctioned.

Fire department trucks called to the scene were carrying water from neighboring towns were because there are no hydrants in the immediate vicinity.

Capt. Crystal Berry of the Hollis Fire Department said the fire was brought under control around 10 p.m.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.