SACO — Three people were left homeless after a fire swept through their single-family home in Saco on Monday afternoon.

Fire Chief John Duross said the fire, which started on the front porch of a home at 70 Berry Road, was caused by the “careless disposal” of cigarette smoking materials.

Three residents – a mother and her two daughters – saw the fire as it began to enter the home from a porch, and they escaped unharmed.

But two Saco firefighters were taken to Southern Maine Health Care in Biddeford. One firefighter was treated for a knee injury and the second firefighter for overexertion. Both men were treated and released.

The occupants declined help from the American Red Cross and were able to find other accomodations.

Duross said there was no water source to fight the fire – the home was located in a rural area – and several neighboring fire departments had to truck water to the fire scene.

Biddeford, Goodwins Mills, Hollis, Scarborough, Old Orchard Beach and Arundel responded to the fire, which started around 12:30 p.m. Firefighters and an investigator from the State Fire Marshal’s Office left the fire scene around 5 p.m. The home was destroyed.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.