Man fishing near tracks hit in arm by Downeaster

A man who was fishing near railroad tracks was hit in the left arm by the Amtrak Downeaster train Thursday night, Scarborough police said.

The man, who police are not identifying, was trespassing, but did not suffer any serious injuries. He refused medical treatment but was transported to a local hospital by a private vehicle.

The case remains under investigation by the Railroad police. The area between Pine Point Road and Winnocks Neck Road where the man was fishing is posted with No Trespassing signs.

Police said the man, who was fishing with his brother, was casting his line when the Downeaster approached just after 7 p.m. and struck the man in the arm. The man told police he did not hear the train coming because the engine was located at the rear of the passenger cars.

Downeaster train 688 was heading south to Boston with 32 passengers on board at the time. The accident caused three trains to be delayed for 60-90 minutes, according to a message posted on Amtrak’s website.


Portland firm wants to build underwater turbines

A Portland, Maine, company that hopes to build underwater river turbines as a clean power alternative to diesel in Alaska villages has unveiled a prototype due to be tested in July.

Ocean Renewable Power Co. showed off its RivGen Power System on Wednesday in Anchorage. The device will be installed in July on the bottom of the Kvichak River to generate power for Igiugig, a community of 50 about 250 miles southwest of Anchorage.

The device is a scaled-down version of turbines the company has built for harnessing tidal power.


Police looking for man who robbed convenience store

Saco police are looking for a man they say robbed a convenience store Wednesday night.

An employee of the Xtramart on Elm Street told police a man entered the store around 9:25 p.m., said he was armed and demanded money. The clerk said the man warned her not to contact police, according to Deputy Chief Jeffrey Holland.

The man left the store with an undisclosed amount of cash stuffed into a backpack.

The man is described as 5 feet, 8 inches with shaggy brown, medium-length hair. He was wearing faded blue jeans, brown hiking shoes and a dark colored jacket with white stripes around the wrists and a white logo on the upper left chest.

Saco police officers and the Maine State Police canine unit tracked the suspect to Temple Street, but were unable to find him, Holland said.

Anyone who has any information about the suspect should call police at 282-8216.


Second-grader charged in knife threat against boy, 6

Police say a second-grader in has been charged in juvenile court with terrorizing for allegedly brandishing a jackknife while threatening a younger boy.

RSU 9 Superintendent Tom Ward told the Sun Journal that the incident happened Tuesday morning on a bus on the way to the Mallett School in Farmington.

He said the 8-year-old boy was sitting two seats behind the bus driver when he threatened a 6-year-old boy.

The bus driver called ahead to the school, and the principal met the bus and took the knife. The boy was suspended from school for 10 days.


Cutler turns in signatures to qualify for November ballot

Independent candidate for governor Eliot Cutler has turned in more than 5,500 signatures to qualify for the November ballot.

Cutler delivered the signatures of Maine voters Thursday to the Secretary of State’s Office for review.

Cutler is running against Republican Gov. Paul LePage and Democratic candidate Mike Michaud, both of whom have already turned in signatures.

Richard Rosen appointed acting finance commissioner

Gov. Paul LePage named his acting finance chief on Thursday.

Richard Rosen, a former state senator from Bucksport, will become acting commissioner for the Department of Administrative and Financial Services effective June 1. Rosen, who now is the deputy finance commissioner and was previously the head of the governor’s Office of Policy and Management, will take over for finance chief Sawin Millett Jr., who will retire Saturday.

Rosen served four terms in the Senate and three terms in the House before joining the LePage administration in 2013.

Bellows raises $1 million in bid to unseat Sen. Collins

Shenna Bellows has raised more than $1 million in her campaign to unseat Republican Maine Sen. Susan Collins.

Bellows’ campaign announced Thursday that the Democrat passed the $1 million mark in recent weeks. Both Bellows and Collins are running unopposed in their respective party primaries on June 10.

Updated fundraising figures for the Collins campaign were not immediately available Thursday. However, the three-term incumbent had more than $3.6 million remaining in her campaign fund as of March 31 and raised more than $877,000 in the first quarter.


Man convicted in slaying will file for new trial

The attorney for one of two men convicted in a drug-connected triple slaying in Maine will file a request for a new trial for his client.

Hunter Tzovarras, attorney for Randall Daluz, said Thursday he believes trying Daluz and Nicholas Sexton together hindered Daluz.

Tzovarras plans to file for a new trial within a week.

A jury Wednesday convicted Daluz of three counts of murder and one count of starting a fire. Sexton was convicted of one count of murder and one count of starting a fire.

The pair was arrested for the drug-related killings of 24-year-old Nicolle Lugdon, of Eddington, 26-year-old Daniel Borders, of Hermon, and 28-year-old Lucas Tuscano, of Bradford and burning their bodies in a car.


Officials still uncertain of cause of inmate’s death

Somerset County Jail officials say it may be weeks before they can establish what killed an inmate found dead in his cell this week.

An autopsy performed Wednesday on Joseph F. Daoust, who died in Somerset County Jail, was inconclusive and more testing is needed, the jail administrator said Thursday.

Daoust, 27, of Wilton, was being held on drug trafficking and criminal threatening charges originating in Franklin County, said administrator Maj. Cory Swope of the Somerset County Sheriff’s Department.

A corrections officer found Daoust unresponsive during a routine security check shortly before 2 a.m. Wednesday. His body was taken to the Office of Chief Medical Examiner in Augusta, where the autopsy was performed.

“After the autopsy yesterday there was no definitive cause, so that’s going to lead to additional tests,” Swope said Thursday. “I would probably anticipate not hearing anything for the next couple weeks until we hear back from the ME’s office after toxicology reports that they’ll do.”

Swope said the death is not considered to be suspicious and no foul play is suspected.

From staff and news services